2. CD/DVD reading
2. CD/DVD reading
3. CD error correction
4. DVD error correction
5. CD-R burning - Memorex 48x
6. CD-R burning - Verbatim 48x
7. CD-RW burning - Verbatim 24x
8. Optimal Writing Speed Technology
9. DVD-R burning - CMCMAG AM3 18x
10. DVD-R burning - DAXON 016S 16x
11. DVD-R burning - MCC 03RG20 20x
12. DVD-R burning - RITEK F1 18x
13. DVD-R burning - TTH02 20x
14. DVD-R burning - TYG03 20x
15. DVD+R burning - DAXON AZ3 20x
16. DVD+R burning - MCC 004 16x
17. DVD+R burning - OPTODISC R16 16x
18. DVD+R burning - PRODISC R05 20x
19. DVD+R burning - RICOHJPN R03 18x
20. DVD+R burning - YUDEN T03 20x
21. DVD-R DL burning - MKM 03RD30 10x
22. DVD-R DL burning - MKM04RD30 12x
23. DVD+R DL burning - MKM 003 10x
24. DVD+R DL burning - RITEK S06 12x
25. DVD-RW burning - MKM01RW6X01 6x
26. DVD+RW burning - MKM A03 3.3x
27. Summary of DVD burning tests, Bitsetting, overburning
For our CD transfer rate tests, we used the Nero Disc Speed utility and a set of data and audio CD-R/RW/ROM. The drive can read CD media at a maximum speed of 40X.
For each CDSpeed graph, you can click on the image to see the complete screenshot, including full measurements.
- US RW
The following CD Speed graph shows the reading performance with US-RW media. Reading reached a maximum of 32x, as per the specifications.
In the CD Speed Advanced DAE quality test, the drive's average speed was 28.93X with a quality score of 100.
A typical DAE task with an 80min non-protected Audio CD produced 27.8X average ripping speed.
Here is some Audio extraction capabilities' info gathered from the Exact Audio Copy application:
- 90/99 mins Audio disc
The reading process of a 99min audio disc failed.
Now let's take a look at how the drive performs with DVD media. This time, a set of SL and DL DVD media was used. The drive is capable of reading at 12X maximum speed for single layer DVD ROM and at 8X for dual layer DVD ROM media.
DVD-ROM SL media -
PTP DVD-ROM -
The two layers of a PTP DVD-ROM disc are read sequentially with the drive starting reading from the inner part of the disc, which is the beginning of each layer, progressing towards its outer range.
OTP DVD-ROM -
The first layer of an OTP dual layer DVD-ROM is read exactly the same way as the first layer of the PTP disc we tested previously. The difference here is the reading strategy of the second layer of the disc. The beginning of the second layer is located in the outer part of the disc, so the drive starts reading from the outer tracks and progresses towards the inner part of the disc.
- DVD+R DL
-DVD RAM (2-5x media)
- DVD Video Ripping
Ripping of a single layer DVD movie:
- Summary of reading tests
A very good performance from the Pioneer drive, attaining the reading speeds outlined in the specifications with all media.