4. DVD error correction
2. CD/DVD reading
3. CD error correction
4. DVD error correction
5. CD-R burning - Memorex 48x
6. CD-R burning - Verbatim 48x
7. CD-RW burning - Verbatim 24x
8. Optimal Writing Speed Technology
9. DVD-R burning - CMCMAG AM3 18x
10. DVD-R burning - DAXON 016S 16x
11. DVD-R burning - MCC 03RG20 20x
12. DVD-R burning - RITEK F1 18x
13. DVD-R burning - TTH02 20x
14. DVD-R burning - TYG03 20x
15. DVD+R burning - DAXON AZ3 20x
16. DVD+R burning - MCC 004 16x
17. DVD+R burning - OPTODISC R16 16x
18. DVD+R burning - PRODISC R05 20x
19. DVD+R burning - RICOHJPN R03 18x
20. DVD+R burning - YUDEN T03 20x
21. DVD-R DL burning - MKM 03RD30 10x
22. DVD-R DL burning - MKM04RD30 12x
23. DVD+R DL burning - MKM 003 10x
24. DVD+R DL burning - RITEK S06 12x
25. DVD-RW burning - MKM01RW6X01 6x
26. DVD+RW burning - MKM A03 3.3x
27. Summary of DVD burning tests, Bitsetting, overburning
In the following tests, we examine the DVD reading capabilities of the drive (error correction) with scratched / defective DVD media. For the tests, we used CDVD Benchmark and Nero CDSpeed. The reference test media comes from ALMEDIO.
- Single Layer media
This is a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM with a 4.7GB capacity, and its surface has an artificial scratch of dimensions varying from 0.4 to 3.0 mm.
The following transfer rate picture comes from the CDVD Benchmark v1.21 transfer rate test.
Flawless reading, without any problems and without dropping speed.
This is also a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM of 4.7GB capacity. The data structure of the disc is exactly the same as that of the TDR-821, with the difference that there are no scratches on it but instead, defective areas of dimensions ranging from 0.5 to 1.1 mm. There are also fingerprints sized between 65 and 75 micrometers.
- Dual Layer media
This is an 8.5GB dual layer, single sided DVD-ROM disc with artificial scratches of dimensions ranging from 0.4 to 3.0mm, on both layers.
Here too, the drive continues its good reading performance.
The disc is a single sided, dual layer DVD-ROM disc with a capacity of 8.5GB. The only difference between the TDR-845 and the TDR-841 is that the first includes defective areas and fingerprints.
The TDV-541 is a single sided, dual layer DVD-VIDEO disc, with a capacity of 8.5GB.The disc is based upon the TDV-540 series which is designed for inspection and adjustment of DVD-VIDEO players. The disc checks the layer switch operation from layer 0 to layer 1 and also includes test pictures and test signals for DVD sound files.
The Pioneer drive failed to read the disc.
The TDV-545 disc is based on the TDV-540 series. It is a single sided, dual layer DVD-VIDEO disc with a capacity of 8.5GB.The TDV-545 includes artificial black dots on the data surface, sized from 0.4 to 1.0 mm. It also has 65 - 75 micrometer fingerprints.
Flawless reading here, producing a smooth speed graph.
Overall, the DVD error correction mechanisms are generally good, with an exception the "scratched" dual-layer DVD Video disc. Failure on the TDV-541 is not something rare among DVD drives, as many other drives that we recently tested failed to read the disc.