5. Reading defected DVDs
2. CD reading tests
3. Reading defected CDs
4. DVD reading tests
5. Reading defected DVDs
6. Reading Blu-ray discs - page 1
7. Reading Blu-ray discs - page 2
8. CD/DVD testing platform - The IQB Omni CD DVD Analyser by Quantized
9. CD-R writing - Memorex 48x CD-R
10. CD-R writing - Taiyo Yuden 48x CD-R
11. CD-R writing - CMC Magnetics 48X CD-R
12. CD-RW writing - Verbatim CD-RW 24x and 32x
13. DVD-R writing - CMC MAG AM3 16x DVD-R
14. DVD-R writing - MCC 03RG20 16x DVD-R
15. DVD-R writing - RITEK F1 16x DVD-R
16. DVD-R writing - TTH02 16x DVD-R
17. DVD-R writing - TYG03 16x DVD-R
18. DVD-R DL writing - MKM03RD30 8x DVD-R
19. DVD-RW writing - MKM RW6X01 6x DVD-RW
20. DVD+R writing - DAXON AZ3 16x DVD+R
21. DVD+R writing - INFOME R30 16x DVD+R
22. DVD+R writing - MBIPG101R05 16x DVD+R
23. DVD+R writing - OPTODISC R16 16x DVD+R
24. DVD+R writing - YUDEN T03 16x DVD+R
25. DVD+RW writing - MKM A03 8x DVD+RW
26. DVD+R DL writing - MKM 003 8x DVD+R DL
27. DVD-RAM writing - Maxell MXL16 and MXL22 DVD-RAM
28. Summary of CD/ DVD burning tests, Overburning, Book Type
29. Samsung MagicSpeed, Live Update, LightScribe
30. Final words
In the following tests, we examine the DVD reading capabilities of the drive (error correction) with scratched / defective DVD media. For the tests, we used Nero CDSpeed. The reference test media comes from ALMEDIO.
- Single Layer media
This is a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM with a 4.7GB capacity, and its surface has an artificial scratch of dimensions varying from 0.4 to 3.0 mm.
The reading process was completed successfully and the defects on the disc's surface did not slow down reading.
This is also a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM of 4.7GB capacity. The data structure of the disc is exactly the same as that of the TDR-821, with the difference that there are no scratches on it but instead, defective areas of dimensions ranging from 0.5 to 1.1 mm. There are also fingerprints sized between 65 and 75 micrometers.
No reading problems here.
- Dual Layer media
This is an 8.5GB dual layer, single sided DVD-ROM disc with artificial scratches of dimensions ranging from 0.4 to 3.0mm, on both layers.
Same as before, successful reading without any speed fluctuations or read errors.
The disc is a single sided, dual layer DVD-ROM disc with a capacity of 8.5GB. The only difference between the TDR-845 and the TDR-841 is that the first includes defective areas and fingerprints.
The TDV-545 disc is based on the TDV-540 series. It is a single sided, dual layer DVD-VIDEO disc with a capacity of 8.5GB.The TDV-545 includes artificial black dots on the data surface, sized from 0.4 to 1.0 mm. It also has 65 - 75 micrometer fingerprints.
Flawless reading here.
Overall, the DVD error correction mechanism of the Samsung drive is very good.