30. Final words
2. CD reading tests
3. Reading defected CDs
4. DVD reading tests
5. Reading defected DVDs
6. Reading Blu-ray discs - page 1
7. Reading Blu-ray discs - page 2
8. CD/DVD testing platform - The IQB Omni CD DVD Analyser by Quantized
9. CD-R writing - Memorex 48x CD-R
10. CD-R writing - Taiyo Yuden 48x CD-R
11. CD-R writing - CMC Magnetics 48X CD-R
12. CD-RW writing - Verbatim CD-RW 24x and 32x
13. DVD-R writing - CMC MAG AM3 16x DVD-R
14. DVD-R writing - MCC 03RG20 16x DVD-R
15. DVD-R writing - RITEK F1 16x DVD-R
16. DVD-R writing - TTH02 16x DVD-R
17. DVD-R writing - TYG03 16x DVD-R
18. DVD-R DL writing - MKM03RD30 8x DVD-R
19. DVD-RW writing - MKM RW6X01 6x DVD-RW
20. DVD+R writing - DAXON AZ3 16x DVD+R
21. DVD+R writing - INFOME R30 16x DVD+R
22. DVD+R writing - MBIPG101R05 16x DVD+R
23. DVD+R writing - OPTODISC R16 16x DVD+R
24. DVD+R writing - YUDEN T03 16x DVD+R
25. DVD+RW writing - MKM A03 8x DVD+RW
26. DVD+R DL writing - MKM 003 8x DVD+R DL
27. DVD-RAM writing - Maxell MXL16 and MXL22 DVD-RAM
28. Summary of CD/ DVD burning tests, Overburning, Book Type
29. Samsung MagicSpeed, Live Update, LightScribe
30. Final words
The Samsung SH-B083L Blu-ray combo drive will do the job and will definitely do it fast. The drive is a reliable CD/DVD/BD reader, it will burn your CDs and DVDs and it's stylish front panel will match pretty well to to your new PC case.
First of all, the drive proved to be a good CD reader, performing all tasks with speeds according to specifications, and being able to complete them successfully. DAE tasks will be performed fast enough at approximately 20x, while the CD error correction is more than the average, with the drive to sport good error hiding capabilities.
Next on, are DVD tests that we performed. The drive was fast and reliable, even when the DVDs we tried to read were not at a perfect physical condition.
The drive is also faster than most of the BD-ROM drives currently sold out there, offering 8x max speed for 25GB and 4x for 50GB Blu-ray discs. In addition, it will playback your BD-ROM and BD-R/RE disc smoothly enough for a great HD viewing experience using the CyberLink's PowerDVD software bundled with the package. CyberLink's PowerDVD is also supporting the 'TrueTheater' image enhancing technology, which will make your DVD videos look greater using up-scalling agorithms.The drive was also responsive to any navigation and FF/RW test we did while playing the movie.
Besides reading, the Samsung SH-B083L is able to burn CDs and DVDs. Our tests showed that the drive can reliably burn on CD-Rs and DVD-R discs. This does not mean that you will not be able to use our favorite DVD+Rs. The drive burned them well with some exceptions, as it always happens with the majority of DVD burners. On the weak side, the drive needs some work in the way it burns DVD+R/-R DL discs. The measurements we took on the burned discs showed high digital error rates.
With all these in mind , the choice is yours as always. With the optical drive market to be stalled, it's nice to see Samsung deciding to finally release new drives, especially when these support Blu-ray disc reading. The SH-B083L can be tracked online at a retail price of around €100 - a reasonable price for a BD combo drive if you ask me. If you need to spend less, you should look in other BD-ROM solutions which, however, lack the CD/DVD burning options. But it you need to replace your DVD burner and add your PC BD capabilities, the Samsung SH-B083L could be a great choice.
- Fast and reliable CD/DVD reader
- Strong with defected CDs/DVDs
- Fast Blu-ray reader
- Generally good CD/DVD writing quality
- BookType support
- Overburns CD-Rs
- Great software bundle
- Writing quality of DVD-R/+R DL and specific DVD+Rs