2. Retail Package
3. First information
4. Testing Software
5. Error Rate Explanation
6. CD Reading Tests
7. CD Error Correction Tests
8. DVD Reading Tests
9. DVD Error Correction Discs
10. Blu-Ray Reading Tests
11. CD Writing Tests
12. DVD-R Format Writing Tests
13. DVD+R Format Writing Tests
14. Blu-Ray SL Format Writing Tests
15. Blu-Ray DL/TL/QL Format Writing Tests
16. PureRead 4+ Information
17. PureRead 4+ Tests with ABEX-726
18. PureRead 4+ Tests with ABEX-721R
Pioneer, a well known optical storage manufacturer, recently released a new series of internal/external Blu-Ray recorders for enthusiast users. As we all known, optical storage has come a long way and even typical HDD/SSD NAND storage is very popular among users, there are many areas, where CD/DVD and Blu-Ray still is being used and seeing new optical drives is always interesting for us to test and review.
The official press release stated that three (3) new internal BD/DVD and CD writers are being released with improvement at writing quality and reading speed , and as well as a new front design. Below is a table that illustrates the three newly released models.
Planned Release Date
Internal BD/DVD/CD Writer
The Blu-Ray drives come with Serial ATA interface and at the top of the line is the BDR-S13U-X, a premium model with advanced features and quality; the BDR-S13UBK, an advanced model that offers reliability and stability; and finally the BDR-2213, a standard model with no special features.
All three drives are capable of reading and writing BD and BDXL standard discs and archival optical media M-DISC. Apart from the 16x writing speed for BD-R (with specific media), the new products support 6x writing speed to M-DISC (BD) Single Layer 25 GB and M-DISC (DVD), achieving higher writing speeds and improved writing quality.
In addition, BDR-S13U-X and BDR-S13UBK are equipped with features for enjoying music on a PC, such as PureRead 4+, which faithfully reads audio CD data, and RealTime PureRead, which reduces the frequency of data interpolation in real time. BDR-2213 is equipped with PureRead 3+ (more on this later) .
In terms of product appearance, the front bezel and tray cover have been redesigned, all while maintaining the quietness and high dust resistance of previous models. For BDR-S13U-X and BDR-S13UBK, the simple design of smoked acrylic with a hairline finish from which blue light seems to emerge with floating blue light and line accents creates a high-quality feel. For BDR-2213, the simple, flat design uses blue LED lighting and a hairline finish to create a contrasting texture. Other features include a new Custom Eco function that reduces power consumption.
Today we will examine the top of the line the BDR-S13U-X EU/USA or BDR-S13J-X for Japanese market) model.
(1) 16x BD-R Writing and BDXL Support
Compatible with all BDXL Blu-ray media. Up to 16x maximum write speed on BD-R Single Layer (SL) 25GB media, up to 14x maximum write speed on BD-R Dual Layer (DL) 50GB media, up to 8x maximum write speed on BD-R Triple Layer (TL) 100GB media and up to 6x maximum write speed on BD-R Quadruple Layer (QL) 128GB media. DVD-R discs (Single Layer: 4.7GB) can be written at up to 16x, while music CDs can be read at up to 48x speed.
(2) The latest versions of PureRead 4+ and RealTime PureRead （BDR-S13U-X, BDR-S13UBK）
When read errors caused by scratches or fingerprints occur when importing (ripping) audio CDs, using this function allows for automatic detection of the disc state, adjustment of the read method using an original algorithm, and then re-reading of the disc, minimizing error data interpolation. The algorithm utilized in PureRead 4+ is also used in RealTime PureRead, reducing the incidence of data interpolation in real time and playing back audio CDs with the original sound data. When the PureRead function is turned on, priority is given to reading accuracy, and the maximum playback speed of CD audio and CD-ROM is set to 40x. The PureRead function is turned on as a default setting. This function can be configured using Pioneer BD Drive Utility.
(3) Equipped with an audio CD playback quality checking function （BDR-S13U-X）
Equipped with an audio CD checking function that checks the playback quality of the audio CD being played and displays it at one of four levels (A to D). If the quality level is poor (C or D), the function displays methods for dealing with the issues, including changing the unit settings. You can choose from Full Mode, which checks all data for selected song, and Quick Mode, which checks data in a short period of time.
(4) Premium model with performance housing and parts （BDR-S13U-X）
- The dignified all-black exterior and interior of the body, which gives it the presence of a premium model, further enhances the drive’s performance with a special coating to reduce vibration, improve heat dissipation, and help suppress the laser’s diffuse reflection.
- Utilizes new low-noise electrolytic capacitors. Paired with the same low-resistance flat cable as in previous models, the result is further improvement in conduction performance and reduction of noise in recording and playback signals.
- Anti-vibration cushions and rubber reduce vibration when the disc rotates.
- Using copper-plated screws improves conduction performance and reduces noise during recording and playback.
- Noise reduction finish on disc tray reduces the sound produced when the tray opens and closes while also reducing vibration of the tray itself.
(5) Compatible with high-speed M-DISC writing for long-term data archiving
This product is compatible with M-DISC optical media for archiving, developed by US-based Millenniata Inc. It now also supports 6x writing on M-DISC (BD) SL and M-DISC (DVD). M-DISC format supports M-DISC DVD/BD media (including 25GB Single Layer (SL), 50GB Dual Layer (DL) and 100GB Triple Layer (TL)).
(6) Custom Eco function helps reduce the drive’s power consumption
If the drive does not receive any commands (instructions for operation) from the PC for a specified period, this function will reduce the drive’s power consumption, such as by stopping the disc from rotating or reducing the disc rotation speed. Shortening this specified period will make the drive enter the power saving mode earlier.
(7) Unique honeycomb construction and cooling structure
These products feature a unique honeycomb structure that increases the rigidity of the housing and minimizes unnecessary vibration. It also commutes airflow generated within the housing by the rotation of the disc, circulating it effectively to alleviate the temperature increase in the pickup and disc surface that occurs when the disc is rotated for extended periods or at high speed.
(8) Drive function setting tool, Pioneer BD Drive Utility, available for download free of charge
PureRead, RealTime PureRead and Custom Eco function can be configured as well as enabled and disabled with the Pioneer BD Drive Utility.
(9) Software, CyberLink Media Suite 10 for Windows OS is available for download free of charge using bundled product key (BDR-S13U-X)
- PowerDVD 14：Ultra HD Blu-ray™ compatible, BDXL compatible, BD/DVD playback software
- PowerDirector 19：Video editing and BD/DVD authoring software
- Power2Go 11：BDXL compatible disc writing software
- LabelPrint™2.5：Label design and printing software
- PhotoDirector 10 LE：Photo editing software
- AudioDirector 7 LE：Audio editing software for video
- ColorDirector 5 LE：Color editing software for video
- MediaShow 6 LE：Image and video management software
- Screen Recorder™4：Live streaming and screen recording software
- MediaEspresso (30days trial): Image transformation software