5. PlexTools/CDSpeed Scans - Page 2
NEC ND-3520A Burner - Page 5
PlexTools/CDSpeed Scans - Page 2
In order to test the writing quality and readability of the burned media, we used two readers in combination with two software packages:
- The LiteON SOHD-167T with patched firmware being able to read DVD5 up to 16X CAV and DVD9 up to 10X CAV. For the transfer rate tests we used the latest Nero CDSpeed version.
- The Plextor PX-712A with the latest available firmware. For scanning the disc, we used the latest PlexTools version at 2X CLV reading speed, BURST mode, with middle accuracy.
In general, a "perfect" disc should have a smooth reading curve, very low PIE/POE and zero (0) POF error rates. Most times, even when a disc has very low PIE/POE error rates, the reading curve may not be smooth with dropoffs. Due to the fact that we oversped the reading capabilities of the LiteON SOHD-167T, such drops are expected, especially near the outer area of the disc.
The measurements below should be taken not as the absolute criteria of the burning quality, but as an indication level.
- DVD-R media format
- Datawrite Printable (CMC Magnetics) 8X @ 8X
- Datawrite Grey 8X @ 8X
- Datawrite Printable (FujiFilm) 8X @ 8X
- TDK 16X @ 16X
DVD-R media performed worse than DVD+R media. On the other hand, TDK 16X media reported very low error levels, while Datawrite media reported higher. Some media could not be read by the LiteOn reader or the Plextor burner.