5. Reading of defected DVDs
2. CD reading speeds
3. Reading of defected CDs
4. DVD reading speeds
5. Reading of defected DVDs
6. BD reading - Page 1
7. BD reading - Page 2
8. CD/DVD testing platform - The IQB Omni CD DVD Analyser by Quantized
9. CD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden 48x 80min
10. CD-R burning - Verbatim 52x 74min
11. CD-RW burning - Verbatim 32x
12. DVD-R burning - CMC Magnetics 16x CMC MAG AM3
13. DVD-R burning - Verbatim 16x MCC 03RG20
14. DVD-R burning - Datawrite 16x TTH02
15. DVD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden TYG03
16. DVD-R DL burning - Verbatim 8x MKM 03RD30
17. DVD-RW burning - Verbatim 6x MKM RW6X01
18. DVD+R burning - Prodisc 16x PRODISC R04
19. DVD+R burning - Philips 16x INFOME R30
20. DVD+R burning - Moser Baer India 16x MBIPG101R05
21. DVD+R burning - Taiyo Yuden 16x YUDEN T03
22. DVD+R DL burning - Verbatim 8x MKM 003
23. DVD+RAM burning - Maxell 5x MXL16, MXL22 12x
24. DVD+RW burning - Verbatim 16x MKM A03
25. Summary of CD and DVD quality, Bitsetting, overburning
26. Samsung MagicSpeed, Live Update, LightScribe
In the following tests, we examine the DVD reading capabilities of the drive with scratched / defective DVD media (error correction). For the tests, we used Nero CDVDBenchmark and the ABEX series of DVD test discs by ALMEDIO.
- Single Layer media
This is a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM with a 4.7GB capacity, and its surface has an artificial scratch of dimensions varying from 0.4 to 3.0 mm.
The reading process was completed successfully and the defects on the disc's surface did not slow down reading.
This is also a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM of 4.7GB capacity. The data structure of the disc is exactly the same as that of the TDR-821, with the difference that there are no scratches on it but instead, defective areas of dimensions ranging from 0.5 to 1.1 mm. There are also fingerprints sized between 65 and 75 micrometers.
No reading problems here.
- Dual Layer media
This is an 8.5GB dual layer, single sided DVD-ROM disc with artificial scratches of dimensions ranging from 0.4 to 3.0mm, on both layers.
This time the drive could not read the disc and returned a read error (red dot on the graph).
The disc is a single sided, dual layer DVD-ROM disc with a capacity of 8.5GB. The only difference between the TDR-845 and the TDR-841 is that the first includes defective areas and fingerprints.
Both layers of the disc was read flawlessly.
The TDV-541 is a single sided, dual layer DVD-VIDEO disc, with a capacity of 8.5GB.The disc is based upon the TDV-540 series which is designed for inspection and adjustment of DVD-VIDEO players. The disc checks the layer switch operation from layer 0 to layer 1 and also includes test pictures and test signals for DVD sound files.
The drive returned a read error before the end of L0 of the disc.
The TDV-545 disc is based on the TDV-540 series. It is a single sided, dual layer DVD-VIDEO disc with a capacity of 8.5GB.The TDV-545 includes artificial black dots on the data surface, sized from 0.4 to 1.0 mm. It also has 65 - 75 micrometer fingerprints.
Flawless reading here for both layers.
Overall, the DVD error correction mechanism of the Samsung drive is average. The drive had problems reading the scratched DVD Video disc (ABEX TDV-541) as well as the dual layer DVD-ROM (ABEX TDR-841).