The plant includes 18 production lines capable of producing 1.5 million half-height drives a month, accounting for one third of the company`s total output of this type of optical-disk drives. LiteOn IT plans to add 45 more lines in spring, boosting the manufacturing output to 50 million drives.
Lite-On IT began construction of the factory with total investment of US$96 million in August 2008 and completed it at the end of 2009.
LiteOn IT is currently the world`s No.3 optical-disc drive maker, tracing Hitach-LG and Toshiba. However, the company estimated that the new factory would help the company become the world`s No.1 optical-disc drive manufacturer.
The new factory is also expected to produce ODDs for Lenovo Group, following a corresponding order from the No.1 PC maker in China.
The 70% of Lite-On IT's revenues are coming from PC drives, while the remaining 30% is generated from drives for cars, game consoles and digital photo frames.
In addition to slim optical drives, the firm is expected to further explore the markets for blu-ray disc drives and models for cars, both of which are expected to fuel the firm's business operations starting in the second half of this year.