1. Introduction - Retail Package
2. Transfer Rate Reading Tests
3. CD Error Correction Tests
4. DVD Error Correction Tests
5. Protected Disc Tests
6. DAE Tests
7. Protected AudioCDs
8. CD Recording Tests
9. Writing Quality Tests - Clover System Tests
10. DVD Recording Tests
11. CDSpeed/PlexTools Scans - Page 1
12. CDSpeed/PlexTools Scans - Page 2
13. CDSpeed/PlexTools Scans - Page 3
14. CDSpeed/PlexTools Scans - Page 4
15. CDSpeed/PlexTools Scans - Page 5
16. CDSpeed/PlexTools Scans - Page 6
17. Writing Quality Tests - Almedio AEC-1000
18. DVD+R DL - Page 1
19. DVD+R DL - Page 2
20. AOpen vs SA300
21. Booktype Setting
The burner supports writing speeds of 16X for DVD+R, 8X for DVD-R, 4X for DVD+RW and DVD-RW, and 2.4X recording speed for Double Layer media. When it comes to CD writing speeds, the drive can write CDs at 48X and rewrite at 32X.
- ATCS (Automatic Tilt Calibration System): The Laser adjusts and aligns to focus on warped surfaces to achieve best writing quality.
- Perfect Compatibility with writeable media: AOpen continues testing new brands of writeable media to extend the media compatibility and shares it with all AOpen users through firmware upgrades.
- Silent Technology: to ensure users get the most relaxed and quiet working environment, AOpen designs mechanical structures made especially for controlling noise and vibration
- Dynamic Damping System(DDS): DDS can decrease vibration by one-third or more. With this design, operating quality and read speed are improved significantly
- Noise-control System(NCS): NCS is implemented by improving bearing, disc tray and foam damping washers design so as to reduce wind noise.
- JustLink: enables stable writing in situations where buffer under-run errors may occur on a conventional drive.
- JustSpeed decides the optimum writing power and speed.
DVD+R (Double Layer) 8.5GB
|Data Transfer Mode||UDMA Mode 4 (66MB/sec)
DMA Mode 2 (16MB/sec)
PIO Mode 4 (16MB/sec)
|Max. Recording Speeds|| DVD+R DL (Double Layer) 2.4X
DVD+R (Single Layer) 16X
|Max. Rewriting Speeds|| DVD+RW 4X
|Max. Reading Speeds||DVD-ROM 16X
|CD Writing Mode||Track at Once (TAO)
Disk at Once (DAO)
Session at Once (SAO)
Raw Mode Burning
|DVD Writing Mode||Multi-session Recording (DVD+R)
Random Recording (DVD+RW)
Disc at Once, Multi-Border (DVD-R)
Restricted overwrite, DAO, Multi-border
|Dimensions||149x42x189.5 mm (half height)|
Pentium III 450 or faster
Below are the burner's main specs as given by NeroInfoTool and DVDInfoPro:
The drive also uses the RPC II region control, allowing a user to change the drive's region at most 5 times before the drive remains locked into to the last region selected.
- European Retail Package
The retail package includes the AOpen DUW1608/ARR, a quick installation guide, audio cable, mounting screws, and a Chameleon Bezel Kit. This kit contains two extra faceplates in colours black and silver. That way, the front faceplate on the drive can be changed to match the color of the PC case in which it will be installed. Also included are two CDs containing Cyberlink's PowerDVD 5, and Nero 6 OEM Suite that will cover your writing/authoring and DVD playback needs.
The front panel has an activity led which lights up green when the device is active..
The rear panel has the usual analogue and digital outputs, IDE connector and power input connector.
Opening the device's case voids the warranty, so we advise against it. Instead, use the photos in this review for a closer look under the hood. Clicking on the image below will reveal a high resolution image:
The drive was installed as secondary master and under Windows XP SP2, recognized as "AOpen DUW1608/ARR". For this review, the drive was flashed with the latest firmware version A070. Below is a screenshot from Nero Burning Rom, showing supported options such as overburn and buffer underrun protection.
During this review, we will be comparing the AOpen DUW1608/ARR burner with the LG GSA-4160, the LITEON SOHW-1633S and the Samsumg TS-H552U burners.