The LVW-5055GDL+ is the latest HDD/DVD recorder from LiteOn. The large 250GB HDD makes sure that you have enough space to record many hours worth of TV shows and watch them from the comfort of your couch. Moreover, modders could replace the included 250GB HDD with a higher capacity drive (which is not suggested since you will lose your warranty).
LiteOn's Easy Guider wizard makes your life easier by providing most of the playback and record functions through helpful wizards. This way, even inexperienced users can be up and running with most of the recorder's functions.
Looking at the recorder's capabilities, we can say that the recording quality in most cases was very good. Keep in mind that HQ records full DVD resolution with at to 10mb/s bitrate. However, due to Macrovision protection, you won't be able to "backup" copyrighted material (like commercial DVDs or VHS movies), at least without a proper mod. The TV tuner reception is very good (since it uses a Philips tuner) and the ease with which you can do recordings will please all users. The price at €390 is satisfactory, keeping in mind the general features available on the LVW-50xxGDL+ series.
On the negative side, the playback features are limited. For example, despite the fact that the player is advertised as DivX certified, it is not 100% compliant. The most annoying "feature" is that all files are brought to the root folder, even if they are placed into subfolders, making playback a real headache. In addition, there isn't a playlist, and after playing a media file, the recorder reverts the image back to the TV tuner (!).
Overall, the LVW-5055GDL+ is a nice product with good quality but also noticeable weaknesses, especially during playback. Hopefully, LiteOn will release new firmware updates and fix some of the above mentioned short comings to make the device complete.
- The Positive
- Massive 250GB HDD
- Complete retail package
- Good printed manual
- Good remote control
- Very good recording quality at HQ mode
- Variety of input/output connections
- Easy Guider, Time Shift, ShowView, Just Fit features
- Great recording schedule features
- Can recognize/playback DVD±R/RW/+R DL disc formats
- Can playback DivX/Mpeg4 content
- Can become region free
- Can update its firmware
- Modders could upgrade the built-in 250GB HDD with higher capacities
- Supports subtitles for most European languages
- Satisfactory price
- The Negative
- Several annoying playback "features"
- Does not allow you to remove channels when using auto search mode of TV Tuner
- Macrovision protection cannot be "removed"
- Not 100% compliant despite being advertised as DivX certified
- Doesn't recognize DVD±R DL (DVD+R DL booktype) during playback
- Doesn't support WMV9/Mp4 media formats