5. DVD SL Writing Strategies
2. DaTARIUS DVD Analyzer measurements - 1
3. DaTARIUS DVD Analyzer measurements - 2
4. DaTARIUS DVD Analyzer measurements - 3
5. DVD SL Writing Strategies
6. Verbatim 16x DVD-R MCC 03RG20 at18x
7. Datasafe 16x DVD-R TTH02 at18x
8. Moser Baer India 16x DVD-R MBI 01RG40 at16x
9. CMC Magnetics 16x DVD-R CMC MAG AM3 at16x
10. Daxon 16x DVD-R DAXON016S at16x
11. Prodisc 16x DVD-R ProdiscF02 at16x
12. TTH01 DVD-R TTH01 at16x
13. Maxell 16x DVD-R RITEKF1 at16x
14. Prodisc 16x DVD-R PRODISC S05 at 16x
15. Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8x Certified (16x compatible) TYG02 at 12x
16. Datawrite Mach4 8x DVD-R INFODISC-R20 at 8x
17. CMC Magnetics 8x DVD-R CMC MAG AE1 at 8x
18. Optodisc 8x DVD-R OPTODICSR008 at 8x
19. Verbatim 16x DVD+R MCC 004 at 18x
20. Maxell 16x DVD+R MAXELL 003 at 18x
21. Plextor 16x DVD+R YUDEN000 T03 at 18x
22. Philips 16x DVD+R PHILIPS C16 at 16x
23. CMC Magnetics 16x DVD+R CMC MAG M01 at 16x
24. BenQ 16x DVD+R DAXON AZ3 at 16x
25. Taiyo Yuden 4x Certified (8x compatible) DVD+R YUDEN000 T02 at16x
26. Ricoh 16x DVD+R RICOJPN R03 at 16x
27. Prodisc 16x DVD+R PRODISC R05 at 16x
28. Traxdata 16x DVD+R RITEK R04 at16x
29. Optodisc 16x DVD+R OPTODISC R16 at16x
30. Datawrite Titanium 8x DVD+R PRODISC R03 at12x
31. Maxell 8x DVD+R RITEK R03 at 8x
32. Ridisc 8x DVD+R CMC MAG E01 at 8x
Below you can see the writing strategy of the drive when writing DVD+R and DVD-R media. For the specific tests, we used Plextor 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T3) and Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20) media.
The drive burned the DVD+R disc at 18x using the CAV strategy. The average writing speed was 13.15x, and this resulted in an overall writing time of 5:40 minutes, for a full disc (4.38 GB) data compilation.
Note that the specific writing time was achieved with selected MIDs only. The drive will burn the majority of your 16x DVD+Rs at 16x or even 18x, according to our tests.
In the CDSpeed screen-shot below, you can see the writing strategy with DVD-R media:
Again the CAV strategy was used for the Verbatim DVD-R disc.
The average writing speed was 13.19x this time, resulting in a full disc burn in 5:49 minutes, according to Nero CDSpeed.
With both DVD+R and DVD-R media, you may notice the instantaneous drops during the writing process, which show up as downward spikes in the CDSpeed graphs. This is normal and shows NEC's “active optimized power control" (ACTOPC) feature at work.
The feature ensures consistent writing quality across different types of media and for media with variable sensitivity, i.e. the medium becomes less sensitive as the head progreeses from inner to outer tracks.
Active OPC constantly monitors the sensitivity of the media and adjusts the laser strength to achieve the best possible results. It does this by analysing the reflection from the media's surface.
In the following pages, you can have a good look at the quality measurements for the various DVD recordable media we used in this test.