2. A closer look
The Numark DJ2Go retails online for £49 or $59 depending the region and the local VAT.
The controller's packaging is simple and immediately makes you think that the device is not aimed at professionals but rather to bedroom DJs:
Below you is everything you'll find in the package:
- 1x DJ2GO Controller
- 1x USB Cable
- 1x Quickstart guide
- 1x CD with VDJ 7.0.3 LE edition
The Numark DJ2GO is very compact at just 30cm (length) X 8.2cm (wide) X 2cm (height) and its weight is 370gr, making it ideal for portable use.
Although the controller does not look very solid as it is made out of plastic, it is hard enough to stay intact and inflexible under pressure and heavy use.
Four rubber pads found at the bottom side make sure the controller remains in place during DJing:
The unit offers the basic switches, sliders, buttons and two jogs that simulate a standard DJ set up. Below you see a quick overview of the default action for each knob, button and job:
- Mini-USB PORT – Plug a standard mini-USB cable into this port and into the USB port of your computer. The computer's USB port will provide power to DJ2GO. DJ2GO is class-compliant, so it is "plug-and-play" – no separate driver installation is necessary.
- PFL – Sends pre-fader audio to the Cue Channel for monitoring.
- CUE GAIN – Adjusts the audio level of the Cue channel.
- MASTER VOLUME – Adjusts the output volume of the Program mix.
- BROWSE KNOB – Turn this knob to scroll through lists of tracks and directories in the software.
- BACK – This button will take you back to the previous level (folder).
- ENTER – When a directory is selected, press the knob to enter it. (Press BACK to move up to the previous level.)
- LOAD A / LOAD B – Press one of these buttons while a track is selected to assign it to Deck A or Deck B, respectively.
- CHANNEL VOLUME – Adjusts the audio level on the corresponding channel.
- CROSSFADER – Blends audio playing between Decks A and B. Sliding this to the left plays Deck A and sliding to the right plays Deck B.
- JOG WHEEL – When the deck is playing, the JOG WHEEL will bend the track's pitch. When the deck is not playing, rotating the JOG WHEEL will scan through the track.
- PLAY / PAUSE – Starts or resumes playback if the Deck is paused. Pauses playback if the Deck is playing.
- CUE – The CUE button will return and pause the track at the last set cue point. For temporary play of the cue point, you can hold down the CUE button. The track will play for as long as the button is held down and will return to the cue point once it has been released. You can hold down CUE and PLAY / PAUSE simultaneously to start playback from the cue point. Release both buttons to allow playback to continue.
- SYNC – Automatically matches the corresponding Deck's tempo with the other Deck's tempo.
- PITCH FADER – Controls the track's playback speed.
- PITCH BEND ( + / – ) – Press or hold down either of these buttons to temporarily adjust the track's playback speed. When released, the track playback will return to the speed designated by the PITCH FADER.
Since this product is ONLY a Midi controller, each of the above functions can be changed within the DJ software (Virtual DJ LE ) and they can be adjusted according to your playing style. On the right there is a mini USB port to connect the controller to your PC or MAC.
One of the main advantages of the Numark DJ2GO Controller is the fact that is can be operated without the need of a keyboard or mouse. The "Browse" knob can be rotated to navigate across your music files stored in your PC, and two "Load" buttons are available to load the selected track(s) to each deck. The "Back" button can be used to go up one level as you are searching across folders and subfolders.
The two 4cm jog wheels are not offering the accurate control on the audio tracks as you may have experienced in PRO equipment. They are not very responsive to to your moves and they can be used for cueing a track and possibly for some very basic scratching.
The plastic Pitch Bend buttons as well as the rubber Sync/Cue/Play and PFL buttons have feel well but a bit hard. Let's hope they will not loosen after heavy use.
The pitch bend slider is 4cm long way and has the characteristic "click" in the reset position (0), adding confidence and convenience: