Nikon is giving Android point-and-shoots another try with the introduction of the Coolpix S810c. The company also annouced the Nikon 1 J4, which comes with a waterproof case.
The successor to the S800c - Nikon's first Android camera - and Nikon has made a couple of changes: aside from the updated operating system, it has a larger 3.7-inch touchscreen, a longer zoom out to a 300mm equivalent, and a slimmer body.
The S810c is equipped with a 12x optical zoom NIKKOR lens, 16.0-million pixels, and a backside illumination CMOS sensor. It is also equipped with Android and Wi-Fi support that allow users to upload their images to social networking services, clouds, and the like directly from the camera using familiar operations similar to those used with smartphones.
Equipped with Android Ver. 4.2.2 and Wi-Fi support for an operational feel similar to that of smartphones and wireless Internet connection capabilities
- Simple setup, simple connection
- Post to, and browse, social networking services
- Photos and movies recorded with this digital camera, as well as comments, can be posted directly from the camera to social networking services (SNS) such as Google+, Facebook and Twitter. In addition to posting, the camera also supports smooth viewing of SNSs.
- Equipped with Google apps and Google Play support
- Transfer images to a smart device
- A 12x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 25mm to telephoto 300mm range of angles of view (equivalent focal lengths in 35mm  format)
- In addition, it is equipped with Dynamic Fine Zoom, which enables approximately 24x zoom for a maximum focal length equivalent to approximately 600mm, and with which resolution is preserved in the digital zoom range. The lens also supports macro photography with shooting as close as 2 cm to the center of the lens.
- Effective pixel count of 16.0-million pixels, backside illumination CMOS sensor
Shooting and retouch functions
- The camera is equipped with a comment function that allows users to attach comments to images. Comments of up to 400 characters can be entered using the keyboard displayed in the monitor or speech recognition.
- Timeline View that allows users to edit images and comments in in-camera albums
- NIKON IMAGE SPACE app pre-installed
- GPS function (with A-GPS function) that enables recording of location data with photos
- Target finding AF
- 3.7-inch, approximately 1229k-dot electrostatic TFT LCD touch screen monitor.
- Adoption of a high-capacity rechargeable battery (1850 mAh)
- Supports operating while the battery is charging
- Equipped with a headset connector
- Uses microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards
- Equipped with a Micro-USB connector
- Function for recording full-HD 1920 x 1080/30p movies
- Equipped with a variety of shooting functions, including Easy Auto mode, Scene mode, Smart Portrait mode, and Special Effects mode
Nikon claims that the performance of the new Nikon 1 J4 with tracking of moving subjects exceeds that of digital SLR cameras.
The camera offers 105 focus points with phase-detection AF and 171 focus points with contrast-detect AF. It supports high-speed continuous shooting at a rate of approximately 20 fps with AF tracking, and up to 60 fps when focus is locked.
The NIKON 1 J4 is equipped with 18.4-million pixels, a super high-speed AF CMOS sensor with no low-pass filter, and the latest EXPEED 4A image-processing engine.
Othe features include a TFT LCD touch screen, built-in Wi-Fi and a variety of functions for recording 1920 x 1080/60p full-HD movies, including Fast Motion, Jump Cut, and 4-second Movie.
What's more, two new dedicated Nikon 1 accessories will also be released at the same time as the NIKON 1 J4: the WP-N3 Waterproof Case, and the full-scale Underwater SB-N10 Speedlight.
- Very dense arrangement of 105 focus points with phase-detection AF and 171 focus points with contrast-detect AF ensures precise acquisition of the intended subject with dense coverage over a broad range of the frame.
- Continuous shooting at approximately 20 fps with AF tracking, and high-speed operation with a shorter shooting time lag
- 20 frames are automatically recorded at high speed shortly before or after the shutter-release button is fully pressed. From these, users can choose the best shots for storage.
- Equipped with 18.4-million pixels, a super high-speed AF CMOS sensor with no low-pass filter, and the latest EXPEED 4A image-processing engine. It captures images over a broad range of sensitivities, from ISO 100-12800. In addition, it is equipped with a noise-reduction function.
- 3-inch, approximately 1037k-dot, electrostatic touch screen with which touch operations
- Users can easily specify settings such as shutter speed, aperture value, ISO sensitivity, choose from five shooting modes (Auto, Creative, Best Moment Capture, Motion Snapshot, and Advanced Movie).
- Users can preview creative effects such as brightness, vividness, and white balance in real time by rotating the palette displayed in the monitor.
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- 1920 x 1080/60p full-HD movie with built-in vibration reduction function
- Functions that support recording of original and creative movies that users will want to share have been added to Advanced Movie mode, which allows users to record movies in [P], [S], [A], or [M] movie exposure mode.
- Fast-motion movies that play back at about four times normal speed are recorded. Playback time is one quarter the recording time.
- Recording automatically stops after four seconds. This creates a short movie suitable for posting on social networking services. In addition, up to eight clips can be joined into a single movie using the Combine 4-second Movies option in the playback menu.
- The camera records full-sized still images automatically while movies are being recorded. The maximum number of photos that can be taken during recording of a single movie is 20.
WP-N3 Waterproof Case
- Waterproof to a depth of 45 m (147 ft.), the WP-N3 plays an active role in underwater activities such as diving
- Designed for a compact size and a firm grip
- Supports zoom operations
- When used with the Underwater Speedlight SB-N10, underwater flash photography is possible
- The flash can be turned on or off according to the scene
- Shutter lever and movie-record button positioned close together for smooth selection of, or switching between, recording methods
- High flash output with a guide number of 28/92 at full power (ISO 100, m/ft.)
- Waterproof to a depth of 100 m (328 ft.)
- TTL and manual flash control are possible
- Supports a number of accessories, including the Underwater Bracket SK-N10A, which can be used to mount the SB-N10 on a waterproof case, the Underwater Wide-Flash Adapter SW-N10A (supplied), which expands the angle of illumination when attached to the SB-N10, the Underwater Fiber-Optic Cable SC-N10A, which transmits light from the camera's built-in flash to the SB-N10, and the Underwater Fiber-Optic Cable Adapter SR-N10A, which is used to connect the underwater fiber-optic cable to the head of the flash built into the Nikon 1 AW1