The Haicom 305-III is a good product with easy installation of a CF card (no drivers required), while at the same time it can be connected using a number of different interfaces, ranging from serial and CF up to USB and Bluetooth, provided that you use the special connection cables. What it boils down to is that you buy one product that can be used with almost all available connection interfaces available on modern desktop PCs, laptops and of course, PDA devices.
Since the HI-305-III uses the SiRF III chipset, it exhibited very good behaviour in terms of sensitivity and ability to "view" many satellites. The ability to connect an external antenna, further boosts the devices capabilities. Users will find the SD slot convenient, even though there are some limitations (no hot-swapping).
The listed price is around US$99, which make it more expensive than the Globalsat BC-337 (US$85). However, it offers greater expandability and its performance won't let you down.
- SiRF III chipset with latest firmware (3.1.1)
- Can be used with a variety of connection interfaces (CF, USB, BT, Serial) with optional cables
- Adds an additional SD slot to the host
- Almost complete retail package
- Very good performance
- Easy installation
- External antenna can be connected (optional cable)
- Firmware can be updated through Haicom Viewer software
- PCMCIA adapter isn't included
- A little on the large side
- You cannot hot-swap the SD card in the built-in slot