Highlights from PS3 firmware update (v3.40) include:
- PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides users with new options to expand and enhance their gaming experience and enable them to gain an exclusive set of features and content. PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network?s suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows users to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. Users can also opt to share their photos between their PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
- Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables users to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.
- Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing users with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.
In addition to the latest features introduced in PS3 system software update (v3.40), a separate, new PlayStation Network application on Facebook.com is made available. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to publish purchases from the PlayStation Store. Now users can further integrate their PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application. The application allows users to display their PlayStation Network profile on their Facebook account, find out which of their Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view their PSN friends? online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to their Facebook user profile.
For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 and PSP systems, visit http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/Sys temUpdate and http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdate s/psp/.