MediaTek today unveiled its Helio G85 mobile gaming-focused chipset, which packs a 1GHz GPU and HyperEngine enhancements to enable smooth gaming on mobile devices.
In addition to its HyperEngine technology, the Helio G85 brings devices AI camera features for advanced imaging, integrated voice wake-up (VoW) to minimize power use, inertial navigation for more accurate location information and dual 4G SIM capabilities.
The MediaTek Helio G85 packs an Arm Mali-G52 GPU with a peak of 1GHz. Equipped with MediaTek’s proprietary HyperEngine, the Helio G85 achieves a Manhattan benchmark score up to 25fps,. The chipset’s octa-core CPU integrates two powerful Arm Cortex-A75 processors that operate at up to 2GHz and six Cortex-A55 processors operating at up to 1.8GHz.
With HyperEngine’s performance optimization features, MediaTek says that gamers can expect smoother performance in heavy-loading game engines, demanding scenes and intense gameplay, along with intelligent dynamic management of CPU, GPU and memory according to active measurements of power, thermal and gameplay factors. Additionally, the Helio G85’s connectivity enhancements deliver faster response times between the smartphone and cell tower, providing more reliable connectivity.
Additional features of the Helio G85 include:
- AI Camera: The chipset boosts the performance of AI camera tasks such as object recognition (Google Lens), smart photo albums, scene detection and segmentation with background removal, as well as bokeh shot enhancements.
- Multi-Camera Smartphones with Premium Quality: The Helio G85 gives devices makers the opportunity to create a wide range of multi-camera smartphones. Device makers can design smartphones with any mix of wide angle, telescopic, macro and sensor sizes up to 48MP. Additionally, the Helio G85 includes a multitude of hardware accelerators, including a hardware depth engine for dual-camera bokeh captures and more. The chipset can also perform recording at up to 240fps.
- Integrated Voice Wakeup (VoW): The chipset has built-in VoW capabilities that minimize the power of applications in the Android OS such as the always-on Google Assistant.
- Highly Accurate Inertial Navigation: The Helio G85’s inertial navigation technology provides an accurate location whether users are underground, driving through tunnels or in any other situations where GNSS services are unavailable.
- Dual 4G SIM: With its support for dual 4G SIM, the chipset provides high voice and video call quality via VoLTE/ViLTE services, along with enabling a faster connection setup time, more reliable coverage and lower power consumption from either SIM connection.
The recently announced Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 and Redmi Note 9 Pro smartphones are powered by the new MediaTek Helio G85 chip.