1. Features, specs
2. CD/DVD reading tests
3. CD error correction tests
4. DVD error correction tests
5. CD/DVD Writing quality - IQB Omni CD DVD Analyser
6. CD-R writing - Taiyo Yuden @24x
7. CD-R writing - Memorex (Ritek) @24x
8. CD-RW writing - Verbatim @16x
9. DVD+R writing - CMCMAG M01 @8x
10. DVD+R writing - DAXON AZ2 @6x
11. DVD+R writing - Verbatim MCC 004 @8x
12. DVD+R writing - PRODISC R03 @8x
13. DVD+R writing - YUDEN T03 @8x
14. DVD-R writing - CMCMAG AM3 @8x
15. DVD-R writing - CMCMAG AE1 @8x
16. DVD-R writing - TYG02 @8x
17. DVD-R writing - DataWrite TTH02 @8x
18. DVD-R writing - TYG03 @8x
19. DVD+R DL writing - Verbatim MKM003 @6x
20. DVD-R DL writing - Verbatim MKM03RD30 @6x
21. DVD+RW writing - Verbatim MKM A03 @8x
22. DVD-RW writing - Verbatim MKM01RW6X01 @6x
23. DVD-RAM writing - Maxell MXL16 @5x
24. Summary of DVD writing quality, Bit Setting, Overburning
25. Final words
This time we put LiteOn's new 8X External Slim DVD Writer to the test. This compact and fancy drive supports most CD and DVD media formats currently available. It is powered via the USB interface, so there is no need for extra AC adapters. Although this drive is not one of the fastest externals that you can find, its ultra slim coating and low weight, along with its capability to be powered from the USB make it a good recommendation for those that do not have a drive on their laptop and definitely need one.
Writing speeds in detail are set as follows: 8X for DVD±R, 6X for DVD±R DL, 8X for DVD+RW, 6X for DVD-RW, 5X for DVD-RAM, 24X for CD-R and 24X for CD-RW.
The drive's key features can be summarized in the following list:
- USB powered portable DVD writer with vertical stand. USB powered means that you do not need an AC adapter to use the drive, it is powered via it connection to the PC.
- LightScribe direct disc labeling, with LightScribe media.
- Smart-Burn, a technology which minimizes buffer underrun conditions.
- Smart-X for fastest CD-DA/VCD/DVD data extraction speed
- Power saving function
- Flash ROM for on-line programming capability
- Drive Specifications
|PC Required||Pentium 4 1.3GHz or higher CPU and 128MB or higher RAM are required.|
|HDD must have access time < 20ms; with a minimum of 650MB free
|9GB free space for creating a DVD image file (9GB for double layer; 5GB for single layer).|
|Compatibility||Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP|
|MTBF (Life)||60,000 POH|
|Operating||5°C to 35°C; Relative Humidity: 10% to 80%|
|Non-Operating||-40°C to 65°C; Relative Humidity: 10% to 90%|
|Dimension||138(W) x 24.37(H) x 155.2(D) mm|
-The Retail Box
The Package contains the following items:
- External Slim 8X DVD Writer
- USB Y Cable
- Nero 7 Essential Software
- Vertical Stand
- Optional AC Power Adapter
Slim and stylish, the drive has a simplistic design that is usually welcomed by the office users as well by all those who may use it on the go.
Using the included stand you can save much space on your desk by placing the drive in a vertical position.
The rear rounded side of the drive includes the USB 2.0 port as well as the power connector, used to power up the device when AC outlet is available.
Our test sample was manufactured on September 2008 in China.
The drive was identified under Windows XP as "Slimtype eSAU208 2 ", firmware version ML03. For all our tests, we powered the device using the AC adapter.
Nero Info Tool 5
DVD Info Pro