The damaged device and additionally provided devices were examined and exposed to a series to tests. The investigation summary states that "The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device" and "the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire."
Additionally, the investigation results state, "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."
Additionally, the device user in Ireland that had posted online the images of the burnt smartphone admitted that he was responsible for the damage.
"This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake," the user added, according to the Samsung blog.
There have been other reports of Samsung smart phones overheating. In March, a Korean schoolboy reported that a spare battery for his Galaxy S II exploded in his back pocket. Samsung said then that the cause was massive external pressure or force.