1. The drive, features
2. CD/DVD reading tests
3. Reading of scratched/defected CDs
4. Reading of scratched/defected DVDs
5. Writing quality testing platform - The IQB Omni from Quantized Systems
6. CD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden CD-R @ 48x
7. CD-R burning - Memorex Ritek CD-R @ 48x
8. CD-RW burning - Verbatim CD-RW @ 24x
9. DVD-R burning - CMC MAG AE1 DVD-R @ 24x
10. DVD-R burning - CMC MAG AM3 DVD-R @ 24x
11. DVD-R burning - RITEK F1 DVD-R @ 24x
12. DVD-R burning - TTH02 DVD-R @ 24x
13. DVD-R burning - TYG03 DVD-R @ 24x
14. DVD+R burning - DAXON AZ3 DVD+R @ 24x
15. DVD+R burning - OPTODISC R16 DVD+R @ 24x
16. DVD+R burning - PRODISC R05 DVD+R @ 24x
17. DVD+R burning - RICOHJPN R03 DVD+R @ 24x
18. DVD+R burning - YUDEN000 T03 DVD+R @ 24x
19. DVD+R DL burning - MKM 003 @ 4x
20. DVD-R DL burning - MKM 03RD30 @ 6x
21. DVD+RW burning - MKM A03 @ 8x
22. DVD-RAM burning - M01J5006 @ 5x
23. Summary of burning tests, Book Type, Overburning
24. Final words
25. DVD-RW burning - MKM 01RW6X01 A03 @ 6x
This time we put LiteOn's latest 8X External Slim DVD Writer to the test. This LiteOn eTAU108 is compact and fancy drive supports most CD and DVD media formats currently available. It is powered via the USB interface, so there is no need for extra AC adapters. Although this drive is not one of the fastest externals that you can find, its ultra slim coating and low weight, along with its capability to be powered from the USB make it a good recommendation for those that do not have a drive on their laptop and definitely need one.
Writing speeds of the eTAU108 are 8X for DVD±R and DVD+RW, 6X for DVD±R DL and DVD-RW, 5X for DVD-RAM and 24X for CD-R(W). Reading speeds are 8X for DVD-ROM and 24X for CD-ROM.
- Drive Specifications
-The Retail Box
The Package contains the following items:
- External Slim 8X DVD Writer
- USB Cable
- Nero 7 Essential Software
- Instruction manual
Slim and stylish, the drive has a simplistic design that is usually welcomed by the office users as well by all those who may use it on the go. The drive has a top-loader design and round corners and it is available in a black and a white version. And with less than 350 grams, this lightweight device fits easily in any small (notebook) bag.
A green LED and the open button are located at the top side of the drive.
The rear rounded side of the drive includes the USB 2.0 port.
The USB cable can be conveniently stored at the bottom of the drive.
Our test sample was manufactured in October 2009 in China.
The drive was identified under Windows XP as "Slimtype eTAU108 ", firmware version EL04. Below you can see a summary of its specifications and features, as they are reported by the Opti Drive Control utility: