The Haicom 406BT-C is an interesting product, combining the power of the SiRF III chipset as well as a digital compass. The retail package is complete and the device has many connection options (external antenna, GPS mouse). It also uses a Nokia compatible battery pack which is very convenient. Performance was very similar to the Globalsat BT-338, another GPS device also driven by the SiRF III chipset.
Comparing the HI-406BT-C with the BT-338, its most obvious weakness is the lower battery capacity (1000mAh vs. 1700mAh) and the lack of any power management (auto, on/off). The HI-406BT-C is cheaper than the BT-338 (US$105 and US$120 respectively), which may be a deciding factor when choosing which device to buy. Both devices are very good performers and will serve you reliably on your next trip.
- SiRF III chipset with latest firmware (3.1.1)
- Combo (GPS BT and Digital compass) device
- Complete retail package
- Car charger is included
- Very good performance
- Easy installation (includes a nicely printed manual)
- External antenna can be connected (optional cable)
- Can be used with GPS mouse (optional cable)
- Included battery is Nokia compatible
- Firmware can be updated through Haicom Viewer
- Small and light weight make it very portable
- Doesn't support automatic power on/off mode
- No markings on sliders, which is for BT or Digital Compass functions
- Included battery lasts only 8 hours (according to the specs)