In order to use the device, first you have to charge it. Globalsat recommends to connect it with AC power adapter for battery charging at least 10 hours under the power-off condition.
Globalsat suggests that: "...The included battery is specially designed for TR-101. Please do not use other type of battery, otherwise it will damage the device...". Then you have to install the SIM card, which can be done in three simple steps:
1. Press on the battery cover, then pull it downward to open it.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Insert the SIM card into the cartridge according to the direction shown, and close the cartridge when done.
4. Put back the battery, and close the battery cover.
Afterwards, you have to install the included USB driver and software in order to setup and properly use TR-101 device.
The first time you run the TR101 setup wizard, you will have to follow an exact procedure, as explained below:
After typing SIM pin,
, you proceed to the next step,
where you can set the time zone, according to your region,
From here you can enter various numbers, either mobile or fixed, according to each function
A final overview of your settings before upload them to TR-101
TR-101 uses your mobile network either to send SMS, make and receive phone calls, according to the following slides,
The most obvious functions are to:
- Send SOS SMS, you can do this by pressing and releasing for more than 2 seconds the SOS button
- Answer/hang the phone functions, you can do this by pressing the phone call button by more than 1second
- Making a phone call, using the quick dial button, again keep pressing it for more than 1second.
How does it work when you press the SOS button?
1. To confirm that you have pressed SOS button correctly, TR-101 will followed by long flash the red LED about 2 times.
2. TR-101 will start to position itself with green GPS LED flashing; when the GPS position is fixed, the LED will be on.
3. Then, TR-101 will turn off GPS and green LED goes out.
4. TR-101 begins to send SMS with blue LED flash once per second.
5. When it finished sending SMS, the blue LED comes back to standby mode with flash once per three seconds.
6. If the SMS has been sent out successfully, TR-101 will again long flash the red LED about 2 times.
7. If the GPS position can not be fixed for 3 minutes, it will send back the SMS with a "no fixed" message and the last fixed position.
You can track back TR-101 by sending a simple SMS (The message content can be anything, even a blank message). When TR-101 receives a short message, it will return the location information by SMS in the following format (numbers erased for obvious reasons ;-).
From here you can track TR-101 either by using Google Earth or by visiting Google Maps, where you can enter the GPS information xx.xxxx, xx.xxxx, as showed at the following picture, and get a picture of the place where TR-101 is located.
- GPS performance
Unfortunaly, TR-101 cannot be used with a laptop or PDA to provide back GPS information. Therefore, we couldn't measure its performance using our usual testing method. However, we were surpized with its performance, even in closed rooms, the device had 3D fix (blue led blinking), indicating that SiRF III chipset and its external antenna do really work wonderful.