The FUJIFILM GFX 50S 51.4MP sensor can be adapted to various aspect ratios, including 4:3 (default), 3:2, 1:1, 4:5, 6:7 and 6:17, which were available in large and medium format film cameras. The GFX 50S will use the high-performance "X-Processor Pro" imaging processor.
Compared to conventional medium-format digital SLR cameras, the GFX is lighter in weight, and achieves a far more compact form factor. With regards to functionality, the camera follows in the footsteps of the X Series by featuring numerous physical buttons and dials, and is designed with an ergonomic grip.
The FUJIFILM GFX 50S will feature a detachable electronic viewfinder, which users can remove when using an external monitor or wanting to make the system even lighter. In addition, an optional adapter makes it possible to fit the EVF at any angle. Other optional accessories that will be available at launch include the Vertical Battery Grip.
The FUJIFILM GFX 50S will use newly-designed FUJINON lenses with a new lens mount. Taking advantage of the mirrorless system’s structure, the G Mount has the short flange back distance of just 26.7mm to shorten the back focus distance as
much as possible.
The initial lineup will include the following six FUJINON lenses:
1. Standard prime "GF63mmF2.8 R WR" (equivalent to 50mm in the 35mm format)
2. Wide-angle standard zoom "GF32-64mmF4 R LM WR" (equivalent to 25-51mm in 35mm format)
3. Mid-telephoto macro 1:0.5 "GF120mmF4 Macro R LM OIS WR" (equivalent to 95mm in 35mm format)
4. Fast aperture mid-telephoto "GF110mmF2 R LM WR" (equivalent to 87mm in 35mm format)
5. Ultra-wide "GF23mmF4 R LM WR" (equivalent to 18mm in 35mm format)
6. Wide "GF45mmF2.8 R WR" (equivalent to 35mm in 35mm format)
The new FUJINON lenses will feature an aperture ring, a popular feature in the X Series, and have a new C (Command) Position on the ring to enable aperture adjustments with the Command Dial on the camera body. Each lens will be dust and weather resistant, built to withstand operation at temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit \ -10 degrees Celsius.
FUJIFILM GFX 50S Key Features:
- 51.4MP Medium Format 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor
- Can be adapted to various aspect ratios, including 4:3 (default), 3:2, 1:1, 4:5, 6:7 and 6:17
- FUJIFILM "G Mount" with short flange back distance of just 26.7mm
- "X-Processor Pro" imaging processor
- Detachable electronic viewfinder
- Weather and dust resistant; operates as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit \ -10 degrees Celsius
The new FUJIFILM GFX system will be available in early 2017 in the U.S.