Canon today released further development specifications for its recently announced Canon EOS R5, the next-generation full-frame interchangeable lens camera in the company’s EOS R System.
These additional details come to shut down speculation that some of the R5's revolutionary specifications are ‘a fantasy’.
Canos says that the EOS R5 will offer every photographer – not just professionals – access to high-quality imaging, 8K movie recording, new approaches to in-body image stabilisation, and "revolutionary subject detection and tracking performance features."
Canon said that the EOS R5’s video capabilities will exceed that of competing cameras on the market. With its ability to internally record 8K using the full width of the sensor at up to 30p, the latest Canon EOS R camera is set to redefine mirrorless with its features. In addition, in all 8K modes the EOS R5 will support Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
Canon also confirmed the EOS R5 supports advanced animal AF – recognising dogs, cats and birds, relying not only on the eyes of the animal but also the face and body for situations when the eyes are not visible.
The EOS R5 specifications previously confirmed by Canon include:
• The EOS R5 offers a 12fps using the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter offering 20fps
• The EOS R5 takes Canon’s image stabilisation technology to the next level, by including a newly Canon-developed, in-camera image stabilisation system – which works in combination with the lens stabilisation system
• With content delivery just as important as image and video capture, the EOS R5 supports automatic transfer of image files from the device to the image.canon cloud platform
• The EOS R5 will feature dual card slots
• Upon launch, the Canon EOS R5 will also be supported by a 5-year warranty.