4. Final words
FlashAir is the SDHC memory card with embedded Wireless LAN functionality. Since FlashAir works as a stand alone Wireless LAN access point, the FlashAir card is able to both send files to and receive files from each other.
Toshiba's new FlashAir III provides users with an easier means of transferring media from their camera. Equipped with a wireless LAN chip and antenna, the FlashAir III can wirelessly send its data to computers, tablets, and smartphones. Most importantly, it can be used with or without a wi-fi signal thanks to its internet pass-thru feature.
FlashAir also retains the normal functionality of an SD card, allowing general Wi-Fi devices like PCs and smartphones to access its contents.
The FlashAir III 32GB SD card is very similar to its predecessor (the FlashAir II) in terms of performance and in features, besides the really handy addition of the the ability to open the memory card like a wi-fi network drive on your computer.
As a note, the wireless function is powered off when not in use to reduce the card’s drain on the camera’s battery, though the camera must be turned on during wireless transfers.
As far as performance goes, we saw sequential read speeds of just 18 MB/s and sequential write speeds of 12 MB/s. That's not so fast and definitely not an improvement compared to the previous FlashAir II 32GB SD card.
At the time of the review, the FlashAir W03 32GB can be bought online for about 38 Euros. Before buying the device, make sure to check the list of supported devices, as they have been compiled and tested by Toshiba.
- Wireless functionality worked well
- Plug and play compatibility with supported SD host devices
- Mobile apps worked well
- Access stored files through Windows
- Choose and share photos by date with Photo Share
- Transfer photos and videos from the FlashAir III card to your mobile device through a Wi-Fi connection
- Access the internet and the FlashAir card through your mobile device using the internet pass-thru feature
- Wirelessly access the content on your FlashAir III SD card from your PC and Mac with the FlashAir drive function (WebDAV)
- 5 Year Warranty
- Slow throughput
- Minor update compared to the previous version (FlashAir II 32GB)
- Cannot delete a photo on the card from the mobile app's interface