4. DVD Error Correction tests
2. CD, DVD and Blu-ray Disc reading tests
3. CD Error Correction tests
4. DVD Error Correction tests
5. CD/DVD writing quality testing platform
6. CD-R burning - TDK (Ritek) CD-R 48x
7. CD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden CD-R 48x
8. CD-RW burning - Verbatim CD-RW 32x
9. DVD-R burning - Ricoh (CMCMAG AM3) DVD-R SL 16x
10. DVD-R burning - Verbatim (MCC03RG20) DVD-R SL 16x
11. DVD-R burning - Ridisc (TTH02) DVD-R SL 16x
12. DVD-R burning - Taiyo Yuden (TYGO3) DVD-R SL 16x
13. DVD-RW burning - TDK (CMCW04) DVD-RW 6x
14. DVD-R DL burning - Verbatim (MKM03RD30) DVD-R DL 8x
15. DVD+R burning - Philips (INFOME R30) DVD+R 16x
16. DVD+R burning - Moser Baer India (MBIPG101R05) DVD+R 16x
17. DVD+R burning - Verbatim (MCC004) DVD+R 16x
18. DVD+R burning - Datawrite Titanium (PRODISC R04) DVD+R SL 16x
19. DVD+RW burning - Verbatim (MKMA03) DVD+RW 8x
20. DVD+R DL burning - Verbatim (MKM003) DVD+R DL 8x
21. DVD-RAM burning - Maxell DVD-RAM 5x, 12x
22. BD-R burning - Panasonic BD-R SL 6x (MEI RA1)
23. BD-R burning - Sony BD-R SL 6x (SONY NN3)
24. BD-R burning - Verbatim BD-R SL 6x LTH (VERBATIMu)
25. BD-R Burning - Moser Baer BD-R SL 6x (MBI R06)
26. BD-R burning - Verbatim BD-R SL 6x (VERBATIMe)
27. BD-R burning Verbatim BD-R SL 7.5GB 2x (VERBATIMa)
28. BD-R DL burning - Panasonic BD-R DL 6X (MEI RB1)
29. BD-R DL burning - Verbatim BD-R DL 6X (VERBATIMf)
30. BD-R DL burning - TDK BD-R DL 4x (TDKBLDRFB)
31. BD-R DL burning - Verbatim BD-R DL 2x (VERBATIMb)
32. BD-RE burning - Verbatim BD-RE SL 2X (VERBATIM0)
33. BD-RE DL burning - BD-RE DL 2x (VERBATIM1)
34. BD-RE DL burning TDK BD-RE DL 2X (TDKBLDWfa)
35. Summary of DVD, BD quality tests, Overburning, Booktype
36. Final words
In the following tests, we examine the DVD reading capabilities of the drive (error correction) with scratched / defective DVD media. For the tests, we used CDVD Benchmark and Nero Disc Speed. The reference test media comes from ALMEDIO.
- Single Layer media
This is a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM with a 4.7GB capacity, and its surface has an artificial scratch of dimensions varying from 0.4 to 3.0 mm.
Surprisingly, the drive had problems reading the first part of the disc, which does not feature and scratches. After the 0.4GB mark, reading was restored to normal and the test was finished without any read errors.
This is also a single sided, single layer DVD-ROM of 4.7GB capacity. The data structure of the disc is exactly the same as that of the TDR-821, with the difference that there are no scratches on it but instead, defective areas of dimensions ranging from 0.5 to 1.1 mm. There are also fingerprints sized between 65 and 75 micrometers.
A successful read here.
- Dual Layer media
This is an 8.5GB dual layer, single sided DVD-ROM disc with artificial scratches of dimensions ranging from 0.4 to 3.0mm, on both layers.
The drive read the disc but had some problems in the L1, around the 6GB mark.
The disc is a single sided, dual layer DVD-ROM disc with a capacity of 8.5GB. The only difference between the TDR-845 and the TDR-841 is that the first includes defective areas and fingerprints.
The TDV-545 disc is based on the TDV-540 series. It is a single sided, dual layer DVD-VIDEO disc with a capacity of 8.5GB.The TDV-545 includes artificial black dots on the data surface, sized from 0.4 to 1.0 mm. It also has 65 - 75 micrometer fingerprints.
Flawless reading here.
Overall, the DVD error correction mechanisms are adequate, although they could be improved , especially when the drive reads heavily scratched dual layer DVD's.