Today's update is a relatively small one. The first update for Windows Phone is designed to improve the software update process itself. In the future, Microsoft will offer an update history page on the Windows Phone website for a briefsummary of what each update does or what features it adds to your phone.
The company will begin sending it out today but it will not appear to all Windows phone users at once, Microsoft said.
In order to upgrade, users will need to connect their phone to their computer and update it using either the Zune software for their PC or the Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac.
Last week, Microsoft gave a preview of the upcoming Windows Phone 7 features, that will include:
- Copy and paste functionality via the first major update
- Twitter integration directly into the People Hub, coming in 2011.
- Support for Office documents in the cloud, coming in 2011.
- Enhanced Web browser experience based on Internet Explorer 9 in 2011.
- A new wave of multitasking applications in 2011.