MediaTek unveiled Dimensity, MediaTek’s family of 5G system-on-chips (SoCs) offering a combination of connectivity, multimedia, AI and imaging features for flagship smartphones.
Dimensity 1000 is MediaTek’s first 5G mobile SoC in its 5G family of chipsets. The single 7nm 5G chip solution, with its integrated 5G modem, will power devices that will start hitting the market in Q1 of 2020.
The Dimensity 1000 5G SoC supports 5G two carrier aggregation (2CC CA) and supports a throughput of 4.7Gbps downlink and 2.5Gbps uplink speeds over sub-6GHz networks. The chipset is designed to support stand alone and non-stand alone (SA/NSA) sub-6GHz networks, and includes multi-mode support for every cellular connectivity generation from 2G to 5G. It also integrates the latest Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1+ standards.
Dimensity 1000 is pairing four Arm Cortex-A77 cores operating up to 2.6GHz with four power-efficient Arm Cortex-A55 cores operating at up to 2.0GHz. This design enables an optimal balance of high performance and power-efficiency. The chipset is also the first to pack Arm Mali-G77 GPU to enable seamless streaming and gaming at 5G speeds.
MediaTek’s Dimensity 1000 also comes with a new MediaTek AI Processing Unit – APU 3.0 – with more than double the performance of the previous generation APU. It brings devices a significant performance boost at 4.5 TOPS.
Features and technology in the MediaTek Dimensity 1000 include:
- Dual 5G SIM: With the world’s first dual 5G SIM technology, in addition to support for services such as Voice over New Radio (VoNR), the 5G SoC delivers connectivity across networks and offers consistent speeds.
- Power Efficient 5G Modem: The chipset’s integrated 5G modem delivers energy efficiency. This integrated design also lets brands use the extra space for other features like a bigger battery or larger camera sensors.
- Handover: With 5G carrier aggregation, the chipset posts higher average speeds and performs a seamless handover between two connection areas (high speed layer and coverage layer) for seamless high speed connections when users are on the go.
- Imaging: With the five-core image signal processor (ISP) combined with MediaTek’s Imagiq+ technology, Dimensity 1000 promises to provide an "extraordinary" camera and video experience. The chipset supports 80MP cameras sensors at 24 frames per second and a range of multi-camera options such as 32+16MP dual cameras.
- APU Camera & Video Support: The APU supports advanced AI-camera enhancements for autofocus, auto exposure, auto white balance, noise reduction, high-dynamic-range (HDR) and facial detection, along with the first multi-frame video HDR capability.
- Graphics and Video: The chipset delivers graphics with support for Full HD+ displays up to 120Hz and 2K+ up to 90Hz. Dimensity 1000 is the first mobile SoC to support Google AV1 format up to 4K resolution at 60fps.
Dimensity 1000 is designed for global sub-6GHz 5G networks that are launching in Asia, North America and Europe.