According to Kingston, the drive has sequential read/write throughputs of 555/510 MB/s and max random R/W IOPS of 85k/74k. SandForce DuraClass technology is also there to provide endurance.
Shipping in 90 GB, 120 GB, 240 GB, and 480 GB capacities, HyperX 3K SSD comes in a black and aluminum case design. It is available as either a stand-alone drive or in an upgrade kit. HyperX 3K SSD is backed by a three-year warranty.
The '3K' refers to the number of program/erase cycles the NAND inside the SSD is rated for. Intel's 50nm MLC NAND was rated for 10,000 program/erase cycles. At 34nm Intel saw its p/e count drop to 5,000 cycles, and at 25nm we saw a range from 3,000 - 5,000. The latest SSD controllers include wear leveling logic to ensure that all cells are written to evenly, so even at the lower end of the Intel 25nm range there's more than enough lifespan for a typical client workload. Intel offers both 3K and 5K rated 25nm NAND. The standard HyperX drive ships with 5K 25nm Intel MLC NAND, while the HyperX 3K ships with 3K 25nm Intel MLC NAND.
Kingston's new SSD seems to be a good deal, at least on paper. It features all the great performance of the Hyper X series but still it costs you $10 - $20 less. The 90GB version is available online for $90. For the 120GB, 240GB and 480GB you'll have to spend $170, $320 and $700, respectively.
Features & Specifications:
- Form factor: 2.5"
- Controller: SandForce SF-2281
- Components: MLC NAND (3k P/E Cycles)
- Interface: SATA Rev 3.0 (6 Gb/s), SATA Rev 2.0 (3 Gb/s)
- Capacities: 90 GB, 120 GB, 240 GB, 480 GB
- Sequential Read/Write (SATA Rev. 3.0):
90 GB - 555/510 MB/s
120 GB - 555/510 MB/s
240 GB - 555/510 MB/s
480 GB - 540/450 MB/s
- Sustained 4 KB Random Read/Write:
90 GB - 20,000/50,000 IOPS
120 GB - 20,000/60,000 IOPS
240 GB - 40,000/57,000 IOPS
480 GB - 60,000/45,000 IOPS
- Max 4 KB Random Read/Write:
90 GB - 85,000/74,000 IOPS
120 GB - 85,000/73,000 IOPS
240 GB - 86,000/60,000 IOPS
480 GB - 75,000/48,000 IOPS
- Dimensions: 69.85 mm x 100 mm x 9.5 mm
- Supports S.M.A.R.T., TRIM and Garbage Collection
- Shock Resistance: 1500G
- Storage Temperatures: -40° C to 85° C
- Operating Temperatures: 0°C to 70°C
- Vibration Operating: 2.17G
- Vibration Non-operating: 20G
- MTBF: 1,000,000 Hrs
- PCMARK Vantage HDD Suite Score:
90 GB, 120 GB, 240 GB, 480 GB: 60,000
- Power Consumption: 0.455 W (TYP) Idle / 1.58 W (TYP) Read / 2.11 W (TYP) Write
- Warranty/Support: Three-year warranty with free technical support