Samsung Electronics on Friday denied previous reports that the Galaxy Fold smartphone would be released in July.
Last week, Samsung’s smartphone business chief Koh Dong-jin told a Korean media outlet that the phone would arrive before July and that Samsung would hold a special launch event.
“If we are running such a media event this month, we should be doing something by now,” a Samsung official told the Korean Herald. “Nothing has progressed since the April delay.”
The Galaxy Fold’s launch was initially set for release in the United States in April, but Samsung changed plans following issues reported by smartphone reviewers in the US.
The company has since repeatedly stated that the release date would be announced in the “coming weeks.”
In early May, Samsung completed its internal inspection of the Fold samples that had broken on some occasions, such as when the top protective layer of the main display was removed or when some substances were found on exposed areas on the top and bottom of the hinge.
Later the company tried to fix these issues by strengthening the durability of the exposed areas on the smartphone's hinge and minimizing the tiny gap between the protective layer and the bezel of the main display in order to prevent external substances from penetrating into the device.
Samsung officials were also spotted using the foldable device at public places, hinting that it was still being tested.
An indication that Samsung would further delay the official lunch of the Fold came when AT&T, the largest mobile carrier in the U.S., informed customers that preorders of the Galaxy Fold are being canceled.
In addition, Best Buy canceled the whole volume of its Fold preorders last month.