Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. today introduced the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Mobile Platform, long with the the first 7-series Qualcomm Snapdragon mobile platforms.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 865
The Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 platform combines an advanced 5G Modem-RF System with Qualcomm's processors in a SoC designed to power the next generation of flagship devices.
The platform’s Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G Modem-RF System provides peak speeds of up to 7.5 Gbps. The 5th generation Qualcomm AI Engine and new Qualcomm Sensing Hub provides more intelligence and personalization than before. Snapdragon 865 includes the Qualcomm Spectra 480 Image Signal Processor (ISP), which supports speeds of up to 2 gigapixels per second. Gamers can use Snapdragon to compete at the highest levels with an array of new Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming features for desktop-quality gaming. Qualcomm says that the next generation Qualcomm Kryo 585 CPU delivers up to 25% performance improvement, and the new Qualcomm Adreno 650 GPU offers up to 25% overall performance boost compared to the previous generations (Snapdragon 855).
Benefits of the Snapdragon 865 include:
- The Snapdragon X55 5G Modem-RF System is the first commercial modem-to-antenna 5G solution for speeds across the board—with peak speeds of up to 7.5 Gbps. Qualcomm claims that the Modem-RF System-approach allows technologies such as Qualcomm 5G PowerSave, Qualcomm Smart Transmit technology, Qualcomm Wideband Envelope Tracking technology and Qualcomm Signal Boost to help deliver great coverage and data speeds along with support for all-day battery life. This 5G global solution supports all key regions and bands including mmWave and sub-6 in both TDD and FDD frequencies. Plus, it’s compatible with both NSA and SA modes along with Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), global 5G roaming and support for multi-SIM. In addition to 5G connectivity, the Snapdragon 865 supports Wi-Fi 6 performance and Bluetooth audio via the Qualcomm FastConnect 6800 mobile connectivity subsystem. Wi-Fi 6 feature innovation helps users take advantage of incredible speed (approaching 1.8 Gbps) and latency, especially in crowded environments with many devices contending on a network. FastConnect 6800 is also among the first to be designated Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 by the Wi-Fi Alliance. The introduction of Qualcomm aptX Voice makes Snapdragon 865 the first mobile platform to wirelessly support Super Wide Band (SWB) voice over Bluetooth, in addition to aptX Adaptive and Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo Plus, thereby reducing latency, increasing battery life and improving link resilience for wireless headphones and earbuds.
- The new 5th generation Qualcomm AI Engine and new AI software tools pack high performance for the camera, audio, and gaming. It delivers 15 TOPS of AI performance, which is 2x more powerful than its predecessor. At the heart of the Qualcomm AI Engine is an improved Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator that has 4x the TOPS performance of the previous Tensor Accelerator, while operating at 35% greater power efficiency. Then, there’s real-time translations using AI—your phone can translate your speech into a foreign language in both text and speech. In addition to the Qualcomm AI Engine, the all-new Qualcomm Sensing Hub enables your device to be contextually aware of its surroundings– using extremely low power. Highly accurate voice detection ensures your requests are heard loud and clear by your favorite voice assistant, while enhanced always-on sensors and intelligent sound recognition promise to bring contextual AI to the next level. An updated Qualcomm Neural Processing SDK, Hexagon NN Direct and Qualcomm AI Model Enhancer tools gives developers freedom and flexibility to create faster and smarter apps.
- The Snapdragon 865’s ISP operates at speeds of up to 2 gigapixels per second and provides new camera features and capabilities. You can capture in 4K HDR with over a billion shades of color, capture 8K video, or snap 200-megapixel photos. You can also take advantage of the gigapixel speeds to slow things down and capture every millisecond of detail with unlimited high-definition slow-motion video capture at 960 fps. And now, for the first time on a mobile platform, Dolby Vision for video capture creates HDR footage that’s primed and ready for the big screen. In tandem with the 5th generation Qualcomm AI Engine, the gigapixel speed ISP can quickly and intelligently identify different backgrounds, people, and objects, so they can be treated individually for a customized photo.
- Snapdragon 865 unlocks new features to deliver ultra-smooth gaming experiences with the highest graphics quality in the next generation of Snapdragon Elite Gaming. Snapdragon 865 is the first mobile platform on Android to support Desktop Forward Rendering allowing game developers to bring over desktop quality lighting and post processing effects. With a first-to-mobile feature, Adreno Updateable GPU Drivers can be downloaded directly from an app store when made available by OEMs, which allows players to have control over their graphics driver updates and GPU settings for their top games. An upper echelon of display and visual fidelity for mobile HDR gaming is here with 144Hz display refresh rate available for the first time on mobile and Game Color Plus to enrich game image quality with enhanced details, boosted color saturation and local tone mapping. Game play is now optimized to the micro-second level with the Snapdragon Game Performance Engine, providing adaptive and predictive real-time system tuning for sustained performance over longer periods of time. The new Adreno 650 GPU offers new hardware embedded features like Adreno HDR Fast Blend to boost game scenes with heavy blending, often used in complex particle systems and rendering, to deliver up to 2x performance lift for certain operations.
Devices based on Snapdragon 865 are expected to be commercially available in the first quarter of 2020.
Snapdragon 765 and 765G
Qualcomm also unveiled the first 7-series Qualcomm Snapdragon mobile platform to help make 5G available to more consumers. The new Snapdragon 765 and 765G unite the second-generation Qualcomm Snapdragon 5G Modem-RF System and 5th generation Qualcomm Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine.
Benefits of the Snapdragon 765 include:
- Snapdragon 765 with the Snapdragon X52 Modem-RF System is a milestone on the path to commercializing 5G globally. The Qualcomm Snapdragon X52 5G Modem-RF System is designed to deliver fast multi-gigabit peak download speeds of up to 3.7 Gbps and upload speeds of up to 1.6 Gbps and all-day battery life. The Modem-RF System-approach allows advanced technologies such as Qualcomm 5G PowerSave, Qualcomm Smart Transmit technology, Qualcomm Wideband Envelope Tracking technology and Qualcomm Signal Boost to help deliver these 5G capabilities. The Snapdragon 765 supports all key regions and frequency bands including 5G mmWave and sub-6 GHz, 5G SA and NSA modes, TDD and FDD with Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), global 5G roaming and support for multi-SIM.
- 5th Generation AI Engine: The new 5th generation Qualcomm AI Engine, combined with the new 5G Modem-RF System, heightens nearly every mobile experience including camera, audio, voice and gaming. Snapdragon 765’s AI Engine features a new Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor accelerator that is 2x faster than its predecessor. Also, the new low-power Qualcomm Sensing Hub enables your device to be contextually aware of your voice commands – without excessive battery drain.
- Intelligent Multi-Camera Capture: Snapdragon 765’s intelligent multi-camera capture allows users to choose from telephoto, wide, and ultra-wide lenses and create photos without any extra equipment. Snapdragon 765 can also capture 4K HDR video in over a billion shades of color.
- Snapdragon 765 delivers intelligent media at 5G speeds enabling extremely fast downloads and 4K HDR video streaming. And even while offline, on-device AI processing can transform standard video quality into 4K. Qualcomm aptX Adaptive audio auto-adjusts between high definition mode and low latency mode, keeping audio in sync with media and reducing audio/lip-synchronization issues.
- The new Qualcomm Kryo 475 will feature speeds of up to 2.3 GHz and the Qualcomm Adreno 620 GPU delivers up to 20% performance uplift. In addition to long battery life, on-device AI helps ensure peak efficiency throughout daily use, intelligently monitoring battery health and safety. And Qualcomm Quick Charge AI enables the extension of battery life cycles up to 200 days and helps you achieve peak charging speeds.
Snapdragon 765G combines a dual force of 5G and AI, along with a host of select Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming features. Built upon Snapdragon 765, Snapdragon 765G offers up to 5.5 TOPS of AI performance and 10% faster graphics rendering with a bolstered Adreno GPU. Snapdragon Elite Gaming features are included to provide special game extensions and optimizations, smoother gameplay and more enhanced detail and colors with true 10-bit HDR. Snapdragon 765G is designed to deliver select premium tier experiences to gamers and with multi-gigabit 5G gaming.
Devices based on Snapdragon 765 and 765G are expected to be commercially available in the first quarter of 2020.
Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile Platform specifications
- 5G Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 Modem-RF System
- 5G Spectrum: Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), mmWave, sub-6 GHz
- 5G mmWave specs: 800 MHz bandwidth, 8 carriers, 2x2 MIMO
- 5G sub-6 GHz specs: 200 MHz bandwidth, 4x4 MIMO
- 5G Peak Download Speed: 7.5 Gpbs
- Multi-SIM features: Global 5G multi-SIM
- Performance Enhancement Technologies: Qualcomm 5G PowerSave, Qualcomm Smart Transmit technology, Qualcomm Wideband Envelope Tracking, Qualcomm Signal Boost adaptive antenna tuning
- 5G Peak Upload Speed: 3 Gbps
Qualcomm Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine
- AIE CPU: Qualcomm Kryo 585 CPU
- AIE GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 650 GPU
- AIE DSP: Qualcomm Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX), Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Qualcomm Sensing Hub, Qualcomm Hexagon 698 Processor, Qualcomm Hexagon Scalar Accelerator
- CPU Clock Speed: Up to 2.84 GHz
- CPU Cores: Qualcomm Kryo 585 CPU
- CPU Architecture: 64-bit
Process Technology: 7 nm
DSP Technology: Qualcomm Hexagon Vector eXtensions (HVX)
Qualcomm FastConnect Subsystem
- Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Subsystem: Qualcomm FastConnect 6800
- 60 GHz Wi-Fi features: Always-on Wi-Fi sensing, Wire-equivalent latency
- Bluetooth Features: 1-to-many Bluetooth broadcast, Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo, Bluetooth 5.1, Qualcomm aptX Voice audio for super wide band voice calls, Qualcomm aptX Adaptive
- Wi-Fi 6 features: MU-MIMO (Uplink and Downlink), 8x8 sounding, OFDMA (Uplink and Downlink), 1024 QAM, Dual-band simultaneous (DBS), WPA3 security support, Target Wake Time
- Modem Name: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G modem-RF system
- Cellular Technology: HSPA, WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, CDMA 1x, EV-DO, GSM/EDGE
- LTE Technology: LTE including CBRS support
- Wi-Fi Standards: 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6), 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6-ready), 802.11ad, 802.11ay, 802.11ac Wave 2, 802.11a/b/g, 802.11n
- Qualcomm Wi-Fi 6 technology features: MU-MIMO (Uplink and Downlink), 8x8 sounding, OFDMA (Uplink and Downlink), 1024 QAM, Dual-band simultaneous (DBS), WPA3 security support, Target Wake Time
- Wi-Fi Spectral Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, 60 GHz
- Peak Speed: 10 Gbps
- Qualcomm 60 GHz Wi-Fi technology features: Always-on Wi-Fi sensing, Wire-equivalent latency
- Bluetooth Audio: Qualcomm aptX Adaptive, Qualcomm aptX Voice audio for super wide band voice calls, Qualcomm TrueWireless Stereo
- Bluetooth Version: Bluetooth 5.1
Near Field Communications: Supported
- Satellite Systems Support: Beidou, Galileo, GLONASS, Dual frequency GNSS, GNSS, GPS, QZSS, SBAS
- USB Version: USB 3.1, USB-C
- Image Signal Processor: Qualcomm Spectra 480 image signal processor, Hardware accelerator for computer vision (CV-ISP), Dual 14-bit CV-ISPs
- Dual Camera, ZSL, 30fps: Up to 25 MP
- Single Camera, MFNR, ZSL, 30fps: Up to 64 MP
- Single Camera: Up to 200 MP
- Camera Features: HEIF photo capture
- Slow Motion Video Capture: 720p @ 960 FPS
- Video Capture Formats: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HEVC
- Video Capture Features: 4K video capture with simultaneous 64MP photo capture, Rec. 2020 color gamut video capture, Up to 10-bit color depth video capture
- Codec Support: Dolby Vision, H.265 (HEVC), HDR10+, HLG, HDR10, H.264 (AVC), VP8, VP9
- Max On-Device Display: 4K @ 60 Hz, QHD+ @ 144 Hz
- Max External Display: 4K @ 60 Hz
- HDR: HDR10+, HDR10
- Color Depth: Up to 10-bit
- Color Gamut: Rec2020
- Audio Technology: Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant Accelerator, Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec up to WCD9385, Qualcomm Aqstic smart speaker amplifier up to WSA8815, Qualcomm Aqstic audio technology
- GPU Name: Qualcomm Adreno 650 GPU
- GPU Video Playback: Volumetric VR video playback, 8K 360 VR video playback
- API Support: OpenCL 2.0 FP, OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1, DX12
- Qualcomm Quick Charge Support: Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology, Quick Charge AI
- Fingerprint Sensor: Qualcomm 3D Sonic, Qualcomm 3D Sonic Max
- Secure Processing Unit: Biometric Authentication (Fingerprint, Iris, Voice, Face)
- Security Features: Camera Security, Crypto Engine, Key Provisioning Security, Malware Protection, Qualcomm Content Protection, Qualcomm Mobile Security, Qualcomm Processor Security,
- Qualcomm Trusted Execution Environment, Secure Boot, Secure Token
- Memory speed: 2750MHz
- Memory Type: 4x16bit, LPDDR5
Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G specifications
Qualcomm Snapdragon 765 specifications