On Windows 10, the Office 2016 apps include the new Sway for Windows 10 to create shareable, interactive stories that look great on any screen. Windows Hello logs you into Windows and Office 365 in one step. Office Mobile apps on Windows 10 empower on-the-go productivity, and work with Continuum so you can use your phone like a PC. Cortana connects with Office 365 to help with tasks such as meeting preparation, with Outlook integration coming in November.
The Office 2016 apps simplify collaboration:
- Co-authoring is now provided in Word, PowerPoint and OneNote desktop software, including real-time typing in Word that lets you see others? edits as they make them.
- Skype in-app integration across the rich client apps allows you to IM, screen share, talk or video chat right in your docs.
- Office 365 Groups are now an integrated part of the Outlook 2016 client app and available on your mobile device through the Outlook Groups app.
- In addition, new Office 365 solutions that combine apps and services for are coming soon.
Introduced today, Office 365 Planner helps teams organize their work, with the ability to create new plans, organize and assign tasks, set due dates, and update status with visual dashboards and email notifications. Planner will be available in preview to Office 365 First Release customers starting next quarter.
New updates to OneDrive for Business are coming later this month, including a new sync client for Windows and Mac, which will deliver selective sync and reliability. Updates also include increased file size and volume limits per user, a new user interface in the browser, mobile enhancements, and new IT and developer features.
GigJam is available Tuesday in private preview and will become part of Office 365 in 2016.
Office 2016 also provides built-in intelligence:
- Outlook 2016 provides the smartest inbox yet, with fast search and automatic removal of low-priority mail. Everyone on the To: line has the right access to documents with modern, cloud-based attachments.
- Tell Me helps you quickly find the right Office feature or command, and Smart Lookup brings insights from the Web right into your documents.
- Excel 2016 now includes integrated publishing to Power BI and new modern chart types.
- The most recently used documents list allows you to pick up right where you left off, traveling with you across your devices, whether you are working in Office Online, in the Office Mobile apps or in the Office 2016 desktop apps.
Office 2016 apps with Office 365 deliver new capabilities for better enterprise security and protection.
- Built-in Data Loss Prevention across Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook reduces the risk of leaking sensitive data, giving IT administrators tools to manage content authoring and document sharing policies.
- Multifactor authentication ensures secured access to content anywhere when you?re away from the corporate network.
- Enterprise Data Protection will be available for the Office Mobile apps for Windows 10 later this year and for the desktop apps early next year, enabling secured content sharing within corporate boundaries.
The new Office 2016 apps are available in 40 languages and require Windows 7 or later. Starting Tuesday, Office 365 subscribers can choose to download the new Office 2016 apps as part of their subscription. Automatic updates will begin rolling out to consumer and small-business subscribers next month, and to commercial customers early next year. Office 2016 is also available today as a one-time purchase for both PCs and Macs.