GoPro Inc on Tuesday launched two new cameras including a ramped up version of its “HERO” line, as it battles competition from increased smartphone usage.
The company priced the “HERO8 Black” at $399 and a new dual lens GoPro MAX camera at $499.
The $399 HERO8 brings the next-level HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization, which works in all resolutions and frame rates, features a new Boost mode and has in-app horizon leveling. Also new, TimeWarp 2.0 features automatic rate adjustment and tap-control speed ramping. HERO8 Black sports four digital lenses to easily select a field of view, improved audio with enhanced wind suppression, customizable mode presets and a lighter, frameless design featuring folding mounting fingers. The revamped SuperPhoto feature delivers ghost-free HDR action photos, and anew LiveBurst captures 1.5 seconds of 12MP (4K 4:3) footage before and after the shutter.
The Media Mod ($79.99), Display Mod ($79.99) and Light Mod ($49.99) are modular accessories that deck HERO8 Black out with professional-grade audio, a front-facing display and enhanced lighting.
The Media Mod delivers shotgun-mic directional audio performance and features two cold shoe mounts for additional accessories along with Type-C, HDMI and 3.5mm external mic adapter ports.
The Display Mod is a folding front- or rear-facing 1.90-inch display that attaches to the top of the Media Mod. It’s the perfect size for both framing up vlogging shots and folding down and out of the way when not in use.
Waterproof to 33 feet (10 meters), wearable and gear-mountable, the Light Mod is the world’s most versatile light. The Light Mod is ready to brighten any scene, whether mounted to the Media Mod or attached to a GoPro mount, it’s rechargeable, and it comes complete with a diffuser to soften lighting when filming with HERO8 Black.
The $499 GoPro MAX is a dual lens GoPro camera. Use MAX as a waterproof, maximum-stabilized single lens HERO camera, dual lens 360 camera or vlogging camera with its built-in front facing display and shotgun-mic audio capabilities. The MAX delivers video stabilization with Max HyperSmooth. MAX also features four digital lenses, including the new ultra-wide Max SuperView—GoPro’s widest field of view ever. Additional updates include in-camera 360 video and photo stitching plus keyframe-based editing of 360 content in the GoPro app.
GoPro Million Dollar Challenge
The GoPro Million Dollar Challenge is back, now featuring HERO8 Black and MAX. Open exclusively to owners of HERO8 Black and MAX, the Million Dollar Challenge will award an equal share of $1,000,000 to entrants whose video clips are included in the GoPro Million Dollar Challenge video that will be released in late January 2020. Entry begins Oct. 1 and ends Jan. 12.
- Preorder HERO8 Black at GoPro.com today with shipments beginning Oct. 15.
- Preorder MAX at GoPro.com today with shipments beginning Oct. 24.
- Mods will be available for preorder on GoPro.com in December.
$399 HERO8 Black Key Features:
- Streamlined Design – Frameless mounting with built-in folding mounting fingers, more pocketable and 14% lighter. The frameless design also makes changing batteries and SD cards even faster; plus, the lens is now 2x more impact resistant.
- HERO8 Black Mods – Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever imagined with quick-loading accessories that bring flashes, microphones, LCD screens and more to HERO8 Black.
- HyperSmooth 2.0 – Improved overall baseline performance and dramatically improved stabilization in pitch-axis movement. HyperSmooth 2.0 also features a new Boost mode that cranks up the stabilization when desired. Plus, HyperSmooth 2.0 works in all resolutions and frame rates and features in-app horizon leveling.
- TimeWarp 2.0 – Automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. Tap to slow down to real time and again to speed back up.
- Digital Lenses – Toggle between Narrow, Linear, Wide and SuperView.
- Capture Presets – Customize up to 10 presets, or use preloaded video presets for Standard, Activity, Cinematic and Slo-Mo shots, for quick access to settings
- On-Screen Shortcuts – Customize your screen with the shortcuts to the features you use most.
- LiveBurst – Record the moments 1.5 seconds before and after your shot, so you can choose the best single frame for the perfect 12MP photo or share a 4K 4:3 video.
- SuperPhoto with improved HDR – Capture killer 12MP photos with improved HDR—while in motion or stationary—with reduced blur and serious detail even in low-light areas.
- Pro-Quality 4K60 + 1080p240 Video – Stunning video resolution, with studio-quality bit rate options of up to 100Mbps, and 8x slo-mo ultra-high frame rate 1080p240 video.
- RAW in All Photo Modes – RAW mode delivers the most flexibility and is now available for time lapse and burst photos.
- Night Lapse Video – Shoot awesome time lapse videos at night in 4K, 2.7K 4:3, 1440p or 1080p, all processed in-camera.
- Live Streaming in 1080p – Get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later.
- Voice Control – Go hands-free with 14 voice commands in 15 languages and dialects; “GoPro, take a photo.”
- Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction – Enjoy crisper, clearer audio quality with a new front mic location and improved algorithms that actively filter out wind noise.
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 33ft (10m).
- GPS-Enabled – Track speed, distance and elevation, then highlight them by adding stickers to videos in the GoPro app.
- Transfer to Phone – Your photos and videos transfer automatically when connected to the GoPro App for on-the-go sharing.
$499 MAX Key Features:
- Built-In, Folding Mounting Fingers
- HERO + 360 Capture Modes – Switch between traditional HERO-style video and photo or immersive 360 footage.
- Max HyperSmooth – MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180° capture as the ultimate buffer.
- In-Camera Horizon Leveling – In HERO mode, game-changing horizon leveling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic look.
- Max TimeWarp – Warps time in both 360 and HERO modes. In HERO mode, TimeWarp automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting + slow capture to real-time in one tap.
- Digital Lenses – 4 digital lenses make selecting a field of view easy and include the ultra-immersive Max SuperView option.
- Max SuperView – Our widest, most immersive view yet can be applied using digital lenses.
- PowerPano – Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270° distortion-free panoramic photos without having to scan the horizon. Perfect for capturing action shots and epic selfies.
- Premium Image Quality – 5.6K30 360 video, 1440p60 and 1080p60 HERO video, 5.5MP HERO photos and 6.2MP PowerPano photos.
- Premium 360 + Stereo Audio – Six mics capture true-to-life 360 audio and deliver the best stereo sound ever from a GoPro.
Directional Audio – Directional audio in HERO mode lets you prioritize sound from either side of the camera, no matter which lens you’re using—perfect for vlogging.
- In-Camera Stitching – Offload and edit your 360 footage in the GoPro app.
- Reframe + the GoPro App – Use the new keyframe-based workflow in the app to easily Reframe 360 footage into traditional videos and photos you can play back, edit or share.
- 1080p Live Streaming – Shoot in HERO mode and share while you’re there in HyperSmooth stabilization.
Rugged and Waterproof – It’s a GoPro—built tough. Really wanna go hard? Snap on the included protective lenses and charge. And it’s waterproof down to 16ft (5m).
- Voice Control – 12 commands in 15 languages and dialects.
- GPS-Enabled – GPS captures your location, altitude and speed. Add GPS performance stickers to your videos in the GoPro app.
- Scene Detection – In HERO mode, MAX knows if you’re in the snow, at the beach, under water and more.
- Auto Backup to the Cloud with GoPro PLUS – Offload videos and photos from MAX to the cloud—automatically.