Intel has released the specifications of the upcoming NUC Element modular computers.
The chip maker plans to offer NUC Element boards, chassis, and pre-assembled modules designed to fit into its own and third-party chassis. The company's modular PC initiative is aimed to simplify system-level design while enabling OEMs to build ultra-compact desktop computers.
There are three categories of Intel NUC Elements products: Compute, boards, and chassis.
You can start with an Intel NUC 8 Compute Element with a complete range of Intel brand processors. Then you can plug it into an Intel NUC Rugged Board Element, Intel NUC Pro Board Element, and integrate it into your solution. The Compute Element can be dropped into an Intel NUC Rugged Chassis Element for systems in unique environments, or business and vertical environments.
NUC Elements modules are based on Intel’s U-series Core, Celeron, or Pentium Gold processors with TDPs up to 15 Watts. The modules come with 4 GB or 8 GB of dual-channel DRAM, up to 64 GB of eMMC solid-state storage on select SKUs, and Wi-Fi 5 + Bluetooth 5.0 via Intel's Wireless-AC 9560 radio.
Each NUC 8 Compute Element (Chandler Bay) uses a consolidated connector for power and I/O, with the connector offering USB 3.1/2.0, DisplayPort/HDMI, eDP, GbE, PCIe, HD audio, and an eSPI interface. OEMs can then mix and match these parts.
Intel NUC 8 Compute Element
- CM8v7CB–Intel Core i7 processor with Intel vPro Technology
- CM8i7CB–Intel Core i7 processor
- CM8v5CB–Intel Core i5 processor with Intel vPro Technology
- CM8i5CB–Intel Core i5 processor
- CM8i3CB–Intel Core i3 processor
- CM8PCB–Intel Pentium Gold processor
- CM8CCB–Intel Celeron processor
Intel NUC Pro Board Element and Assembly
- CMB1BB–Intel NUC Pro Board
- CMA1BB–Intel NUC Pro Board and Assembly
Intel NUC Rugged Board and Chassis
- CMB1ABA–Intel NUC Rugged Board
- CMB1ABB–Intel NUC Rugged Board
- CMCR1ABA–Intel NUC Rugged Chassis and Board
- CMCR1ABB–Intel NUC Rugged Chassis and Board
The NUC Elements family will include seven NUC 8 Compute Element ‘Chandler Bay’ modules. Intel will offer two boards for the modules: the "rugged" ‘Austin Beach’ (CMB1BB) board, and the pro-focused ‘Butler Beach’ (CMA1BB) board.
Intel will also release four two chassis as well, which they will be selling as part of board plus chassis kits. These kits will all be based around the Austin Beach board, with a version of the chassis for each of the two variations of Austin Beach.
Intel’s NUC Elements come with a three-year warranty.