3. CD Data Tests
2. The drive
3. CD Data Tests
4. RW reading tests
5. DAE Tests
6. CDR Tests
7. The Attached Software - Page 1
8. The Attached Software - Page 2
9. Background Formatting
10. Nero and DVD+RW format
11. RW Writing Tests
12. DVD Tests
Ricoh MP5120A IDE DVD+RW - Page 3
CD Data Tests
- SCSI Mechanic v3.0x: This was used to compare the drive's I/O performance against other various CDR-W drives (see charts). We used a pressed CD containing PlexTools v1.08 for all tests.
- Nero CD Speed v0.84b was also used to check the drive's performance with pressed CDs. For that test, we also used the PlexTools v1.08 pressed CD.
For comparison reasons we post the results of the Pioneer DVR-A03
- SCSI Mechanic v3.0x results:
The Ricoh MP5120A is a very good performer with pressed CDs. The drive has high Average Random I/O score and its average reading speed is 3614kb/s. Direct comparison with the Pioneer DVR-A03 cannot be done since supports only 24X reading speed.
- Nero CD Speed v0.84 results: (Click to see the CD Speed Graph)
Using Nero CD Speed 0.84, we can see that Ricoh's average reading speed is 24.81X. The drive starts reading at 14.86X and ends at 32.55X.
Ricoh's MP5120A "seek times" results are impressive. The drive stays around 100ms for random use.
- PSX Pressed Media
For this test we used the PSX game 'NBA Jam Extreme' and we ripped the image to HD with CloneCD. We measured the reading times for the Ricoh MP5120, which was very low (88secs):
- CDR Media: (Click to see the CD Speed graph)
With CDR media, the Ricoh MP5120A has even higher reading speed of 25.31X compared to the pressed CD results.
The Ricoh MP5120A has 8X DVD reading speed which is more than acceptable for our daily needs.
The seek times of the Ricoh MP5120A stays to what drive's specifications indicate- full stroke seek time of 261ms. Almost the same as for the CD format :-)
When ripping DVD movies, the Ricoh MP5120A has an average of 5211Kb/s.
Let us now check the drive performance when reading DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW media. As our tests results showed, the drive can read DVD-R and DVD+RW very fast but has problems with DVD-RW media...
- Movie Tests :
We tested the Ricoh MP51200A with many DVDs and our overall impression was very good. When playing DVD movies, the average CPU Usage was 45% using PowerDVD v3.0 Build 0421. We noticed no problems during DVD playback, no matter what tricks we tried!