How does it work? SmartErase overwrites the original data on the disc with random meaningless characters so that the original data can no longer be read by any drive. Once a disc is "SmartErased", you dont have to worry about someone accessing the confidential data that used to be stored on the disc. Where other "techniques" as shredding or breaking a disc, or throw it in the waste bin still have a potential risk of data recovering, SmartErase guarantees that data will be erased permanently.
"SmartErase is an ideal technology to destroy physical and logical structure of the disc," says Gakin Chang, Marketing Manager at PLDS Taipei. "You can simply delete your sensitive data permanently without physically destroying the disc, which produces waste to the environment. This method is also an eco-friendly technology."Chang added.
To make the technology easy to use, the SmartErase function will be implemented in Nero 7 Essentials, the software package that will be bundled with the DVD writers. Users who want to erase their disc, can simply select the application in the Nero screen and can then choose between two erasing strategies:
1) A "Quick Erase" only erases the information stored in the Lead-in area and data stored on the first track of the disc. As a result, a drive can not read the disc anymore, but with data recovery software there is a chance that some data can still be recovered from the parts of the disc that have not been overwritten.
2) A "Full Erase" Overwrites the complete disc. It takes more time then a "Quick Erase", but all the data will be permanently erased.
Lite-On will release 4 different 22X DVD writers with SmartErase functionality:
- the iHAP322 is a 22X DVD writer with PATA connection
- the iHAP422 is a 22X DVD writer with PATA connection and LightScribe
- the iHAS322 is a 22X DVD writer with SATA connection
- the iHAS422 is a 22X DVD writer with SATA connection and LightScribe
All above DVD writers will be available in September / October 2008.