1. Features, specifications
2. CD / DVD read tests
3. CD error correction tests
4. DVD error correction tests
5. Test platform - The IQB Omni CD DVD Analyser by Quantized
6. CD-R writing - Taiyo Yuden 48x
7. CD-R writing - Ritek 48x
8. CD-RW writing - Verbatim 32x
9. DVD+R writing - CMC MAG M01 16x
10. DVD+R writing - DAXON AZ3 16x
11. DVD+R writing - Moser Baer MBIPG101 R05 16x
12. DVD+R writing - INFOME R30 003 16x
13. DVD+R writing - Verbatim MCC 004 000 22x
14. DVD+R writing - YUDEN000 T03 22x
15. DVD-R writing - CMC MAG AM3 16x
16. DVD-R writing - Verbatim MCC03RG20 22x
17. DVD-R writing - RITEKF1 16x
18. DVD-R writing - TTH02 16x
19. DVD-R writing - TYG03 22x
20. DVD+R DL writing - Verbatim MKM 003 000 10x
21. DVD+R DL writing - Moser Baer MBIPG101 R10 8x
22. DVD-R DL writing - Verbatim MKM 03RD30 10x
23. DVD-R DL writing - Verbatim MKM 04RD30 12x
24. DVD+RW writing - Verbatim MKM A03 000 8x
25. DVD-RW writing - Verbatim MKM 01RW6X01 6x
26. DVD-RAM writing - MXL16 5x
27. DVD-RAM writing - MXL22 12x
28. Summary of DVD burning tests
29. Final words
It may be less than a month before the first 24x reach the market of DVD burners, but today we are having a look at LG's latest solution for 22x DVD recording, the GH22NS30. This drive is a Super-Multi DVD writer, supporting all DVD media currently available. The drive we got is a bulk version meaning that it comes with no software or any other goodies found in the retail packages of other drives. But still, it would be interesting to see how fast and reliably this baby performs, compared to other 22x DVD burners from LiteOn and Samsung.
In detail, the LG drive is able to burn DVD±R media at 22X, DVD+R DL at 16X, DVD-R/+R DL at 16X, DVD+RW media at 8X, DVD-RW at 6X and DVD-RAM at 12X. It is connected to the computer via a S-ATA interface, thus allowing Burst Transfer Rates of up to 1.5Gbps.
The drive's key features are:
- Compatible with all Current Standard Disc Formats
- DVD±R 22x Burning Speed
- SATA Interface
- SecurDisc Feature
- Drive Specifications
LG hasn't changed much on the front faceplate of the drive, which is also met at the company's previous models. The "SuperMulti" and "SecurDisc" logos are there, although the CD and DVD+R/+RW logos are missing.
At the rear side we find the typical SATA and power connectors.
The GH22NS30 by HL Data Storage was manufactured in November 2008.
The internal board of the drive is rather small, as you can see below.
The GH22NS30 uses Panasonic's MN103SD9GRAB chip. The company also uses chipsets from Renesas in other 22x DVD models.
The drive was identified under Windows XP as "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30", firmware version 1.01.
Nero Info Tool 5
DVD Info Pro