5. Protected Disc Tests
2. Reading Tests
3. CD Error Correction Tests
4. DVD Error Correction Tests
5. Protected Disc Tests
6. CD Recording Tests
7. CD Writing Quality - Plextools
8. CD Writing Quality - Clover System
9. DVD Recording Tests
10. DVD Writing Quality - Page 1
11. DVD Writing Quality - Page 2
12. DVD Writing Quality - Page 3
13. DVD Writing Quality - Page 4
14. DVD Writing Quality - Page 5
15. DVD Writing Quality - Almedio
16. DVD+R DL - Page 1
17. DVD+R DL - Page 2
18. BookType Setting
19. LightScribe Feature
On this page, we will check the drive's ability to read and backup protected CDs.
- AudioCD protections
For the test procedure we used three audio discs with different audio copy protections. The ripping process on all protected audio discs was carried out with Exact Audio Copy v0.9 beta5.
The protected audio discs tested, were:
|Celine Dion - New Day Has Come||Sony's Key2Audio|
|Natalie Imbruglia - White Lilies Island||Cactus Data Shield 200|
|Aiko Katsukino - The Love Letter||Cactus Data Shield 200.0.4 - 3.0 build 16a|
The Cactus Data Shield 200, contains artificial errors that are not easily bypassed by the reader, while the Key2Audio contains a second session causing problems for readers when trying to read the Table Of Contents (TOC).
The test procedures are:
- Recognition of the inserted disc (Yes/No).
- Ripping all wav files (with EAC's Burst Mode) to the hard disk through copy&compare function.
- Listening to the produced wav files to detect any possible clicks/skips.
The drive recognized up to the 12th Audio track in the CDS200 disc,
and with the "Retrieve Native TOC" option removed, the drive recognized the 13th track.
The ripping test results are shown in the following table:
The drive could not rip the specific media.
Ripping process completed, EAC reports no problems, Read&Test CRC comparison successful for all tracks
Unfortunately, the Key2Audio disk could not be read by the drive. On the other hand, the CDS2000 was ripped successfully.
- Cactus Data Shield 200.0.4 - 3.0 build 16a (Aiko Katsukino - The Love Letter)
This is a "special" CDS200 build, since it doesn't contain any artificial errors which create problems during the ripping process. Most problems occur when trying to write the ripped wav files, since the produced CD-R disc contains C2 and CU errors! This "problem" is rumored to be connected to specific chipset weaknesses.
CDS 200.0.4 - 3.0 build 16a
Reading performed without any errors.
- Games Protections
To create an image of the various protected titles onto the hard disk, we used Alcohol 120% and the appropriate settings, according to the protection type of the inserted discs. Below you can see the duration of each process as well as the transfer rate in each case.
All three games were ripped successfully and at high speeds by the HP-840b drive.
- Writing Tests
The HP-840b supports the DAO-RAW writing mode. To check the drive's EFM correction status we used 5 different game titles with different SafeDisc 2 versions, having the latest software patches installed. After making the images of the various titles onto the hard disk, we burned them (at maximum speed) with Alcohol 120% v22.214.171.12405. Two different discs were recorded for each title; one with the "Rectify Sub-Channel Data" enabled and one with the function disabled.
- Fifa 2004 - Safe Disc v3.1x
- The Sims Superstar - Safe Disc v2.9x
- The Sims Unleashed - Safe Disc v2.8x
The drive managed to create a working backup of SD v3.1, something that not many drives can do.