Withings (pronounced "WITH-things") is a French consumer electronics company headquartered in Issy-les-Moulineaux, France. It also has offices in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, and Hong Kong, and distributes its products worldwide. Withings is known for design and innovation in connected devices, such as the first Wi-Fi scale on the market (introduced in 2009), an FDA-cleared blood pressure monitor, a smart sleep system, and a line of automatic activity tracking watches. It also provides B2B solutions for healthcare providers and researchers.
Withings recently announced a new product called Sleep Diary, a solution that automatically collects and analyzes sleep data while channeling user-generated information in a usable and actionable format for physicians. A complement to the Withings Sleep Analyzer, a unique, non-invasive, medical-grade sleep sensor, it can help reveal under-diagnosed pathologies such as sleep apnea or insomnia.
According to Withings, studies across the world consistently show Insomnia affects about a third of populations, yet despite its prevalence, it is often underdiagnosed. In a new study of over 12,000 of its users, Withings found significant numbers may actually be experiencing Insomnia without knowing it and despite stating the opposite. After initially asking whether someone self-identifies as having Insomnia, further behavioral questions and sleep data revealed 12% of respondents are likely to be experiencing may actually have had Insomnia without knowing it.
From cognitive function, weight management, cardiovascular health, aging to depression, immunity, pulmonary function, and diabetes, studies have shown the importance of sleep to overall health and wellness. In addition, it is estimated one billion people worldwide suffer from mild to severe sleep apnea, a serious sleep disorder. While sleep apnea can lead to major health and cardiovascular issues, eight out of ten people don’t know they have it. It is therefore vital to ensure consistent and restful sleep.
Dear Diary - Bringing State-of-the-Art Sleep Monitoring to the Bedroom
The sleep diary is a common tool deployed by medical professionals for identifying sleep disturbances, their frequency, determining if diagnostic testing is warranted, and to monitor for changes. However, the traditional sleep diary is hard to complete consistently and can be inaccurate, often relying on subjective information.
Paired with Withings Sleep Analyzer, the all-new Withings Sleep Diary combines the automatic collection of sleep data with behavioral analysis based on gold standard sleep disorder medical questionnaires, including the Epworth Sleepiness Scale and Stop-Bang Model. It then generates an easy-to-use and standardized dashboard that users can quickly interpret, track overtime, and share with physicians as a PDF.
The Withings Sleep Analyzer is a clinically tested medical-grade device that helps improve sleep quality. Featuring a simple one-time set up, it is placed under the mattress and measures the movements of the thoracic cage, heart rate and breathing.
It detects sleep duration, sleep onset and time to wake, sleep cycles distinguishing between deep and light, and REM phases. It also measures continuous and average heart rate, snoring duration, and detects the presence and length of breathing disturbances. Withings Sleep can even help to improve the overall sleeping environment. Through integration with IFTTT, it can control lights, temperature, and other smart home devices just by getting into and out of bed.
Designed with sleep physicians, Sleep Diary and Withings Sleep are a powerful combination.
"Sleep Diary ideally complements the data collected by Withings Sleep and gives it meaning,” said Matthieu Menanteau, Head of Products at Withings. “Information is power, which is why Withings creates devices that seamlessly fit into people’s lives that consistently capture health data over the long-term. By ensuring people have access to the most reliable health data, we help people regain control of their health." Withings Sleep Analyzer is available at Withings.com, Amazon, and Curry’s priced £119.95. The new Sleep Diary feature is available from March 18, 2022, within the Withings app.
Today we will examine what users can expect and if it’s a product worth you money.
Withings Sleep Analyzer is actually a product with many sensors that can monitor your sleep and within the power of the Health mate Withings app can produce useful information about your sleep and in fact it can also diagnose problems you might have during your sleep sessions. The product has the following features:
The product has the following features:
- Advanced sleep tracking: Accurate data collected by the sensors is processed using exclusive algorithms that benefit from a decade of expertise in connected health.
- Medical-grade sleep apnea detection: Sleep apnea causes fatigue and can have very serious health implications, including high blood pressure, arrhythmias, strokes, and heart failure.
- The ideal overnight companion: Sleep Analyzer is a snap to install and after a one-time setup, all you need to do—is sleep.
- Medical data in hand: Every day, Sleep Analyzer provides you with accurate data and actionable insights.
- Suits all sleep positions: Sleep Analyzer will precisely record your vital parameters during the night, no matter how you sleep.
- No charging needed: Simply plug in the power cable—that’s it.
- Healthy relationships: Health Mate is compatible with Apple Watch, Apple Health and 100+ top health & fitness apps.
- Free & safe data storage: Get unlimited access and full control of your data, at no extra cost—forever. Data is stored in secure servers and never shared with 3rd parties.
- Smart home solution: Create home automation scenarios just by getting into and out of bed. Via IFTTT integration, Sleep Analyzer can act as a switch to control lights, the thermostat and more, so you can improve your sleep environment—and have healthier sleep.
- Sleep Analyzer product costs 130 euro, has free shipping, 30-day trial and includes 2-year warranty