Samsung TecTile originally launched alongside the Samsung Galaxy S III as an introduction to the capabilities of NFC beyond mobile payments. With the U.S. launch of the Samsung Galaxy Note II, TecTile programmable NFC tags and the TecTile 3.0 mobile application can now automate everyday smartphone functions on Samsung?s newest iconic device.
Enhancements offered with TecTile Version 3.0
Programming Enhancements & Improved Usability
- Program multiple actions to a single TecTile - With one tap, a TecTile can perform a series of actions including turning on Bluetooth, launching the Navigation app and calling voicemail when entering a car.
- Customize Profiles - Version 3.0 enables users to turn the notion of a static TecTile on its head. Define preloaded Profiles within the app and program a different TecTile tag to launch each Profile - such as "normal," "office," "night" and "car" - allowing for easy toggling between Profiles throughout the day. Groups can also take advantage of Profiles. Rather than program a TecTile to evoke the same actions on every smartphone with every tap, Profiles allow one TecTile to perform customized actions for different users when scanned. For example, within the app, each TecTile user in an office can customize their "meeting" Profile to fit their specific preferences, such as automatically setting the phone to vibrate or silent mode, depending on user choice. Then, program one TecTile in a conference room to automatically launch each user?s unique, custom "meeting" Profile upon tapping. Users can also create and add their own custom Profiles based on daily activities, like "workout," "gaming" or "TV."
- Store TecTile tag history - Users can now keep a log of all TecTile tags they program for easy reference.
- Create private TecTile tags - Create private TecTile tags that only the owner?s phone can read. TecTile 3.0 will associate the programmer?s email address to all private TecTile tags and will only allow execution of a TecTile command to the programmer?s device.
- Unlock a previously locked TecTile - A TecTile programmer can unlock a previously locked TecTile, or clear a TecTile without having to overwrite with a new command. This is beneficial for both consumers and commercial users who want to extend the value of their TecTile tags while retaining the secure option to lock a TecTile.
- Programming Additions & Application Integration: Samsung has expanded the list of phone settings that TecTile can change when tapped, including the addition of Airplane mode, more comprehensive alarm settings and the ability to automatically change a ringtone. In addition, TecTile 3.0 can now integrate with more applications. Specifically, TecTile can now:
Share or edit an electronic business card, forward a call or send a pre-written email to a specific address
Toggle between Play/Pause settings on Music Player, or play a specific track
In addition to integration with LinkedIn, Facebook and foursquare, program a TecTile to update a Google+ status, start a Google Talk conversation, check in on Google Places or on Glympse location sharing
Samsung NFC-Enabled Android TM Smartphones
- Samsung Galaxy Note II on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular and Verizon
- Samsung Galaxy S III on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular and Verizon
- Samsung Galaxy Note on AT&T and T-Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy S II on T-Mobile
- Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, Sprint and GSM Unlocked
- Nexus S 4G on Sprint
- Nexus S on AT&T and T-Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G on T-Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate on AT&T
- Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G on T-Mobile
- Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE on Sprint
Priced at $14.99 for a pack of five, TecTile programmable NFC sticker tags are available for purchase at Samsung.com and online and in-store at AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile. The Samsung TecTile 3.0 mobile app is available for free in the Google Play marketplace.