Lenovo has officially announced the Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus, two new affordable Android 7.0 Nougat smartphones that will begin shipping in March.
This year the company has completely overhauled the design to focus on a metal finish. The G5 has a 5-inch LCD display, while the G5 Plus has a bigger 5.2-inch screen. Both panels are Full HD 1080p.
Under the hood, the G5 has a Snapdragon 430 processor, while the G5 Plus gets the Snapdragon 625. The G5's camera is a 13-megapixel f/2.0 system with phase detect autofocus, and the G5 Plus ups that slightly with a 12-megapixel f/1.7 camera with dual-focus pixels. It can record 4K video, while the G5 is limited to Full HD. Both have a 5MP selfie cam up front.
Storage for the G5 is either 16GB or 32GB of built-in flash, with support for microSD cards up to 128GB. The G5 Plus comes in two capacities - 32GB or 64GB - also with expandable storage. RAM ranges between 2GB and 4GB, again depending on the market you're in. Only the G5 Plus will be sold in the United States. Both phones support dual-SIM setups. The G5 has a respectable 2,800mAh removable battery; the G5 Plus gets a sealed 3,000mAh battery.
The G5 and G5 Plus run on Android 7.0 Nougat and feature some of Moto's software customizations. You get Moto Display for notifications, and the same gestures as other Moto phones. And of course, the phones are getting Google Assistant.
Moto G5 and Moto G5 Plus will be available beginning in March in various countries across Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific and North America. Find Moto G5 starting at €199 with 2GB RAM/16GB storage. Moto G5 Plus starts at $229 USD with 2GB RAM/32GB storage and €279 for 3GB RAM/32GB storage.
Motorola G5 Plus specifications (U.S.)
- Carrier network: Moto G Plus is universally unlocked and works on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Consumer Cellular.
- Operating system: Android 7.0Nougat
- System architecture/processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor with 2.0 GHz octa-core CPU and 650 MHz Adreno 506 GPU
- Memory (RAM): 2 GB/4 GB
- Storage (ROM): 32 GB/64 GB internal, up to 128 GB microSD Card support
- Height: 150.2 mm
- Width: 74.0 mm
- Depth: 7.7 mm to 9.7 mm
- Weight: 155 g
- Display: 5.2" Full HD 1080p (1920 x 1080), 424 ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Battery: All-day battery (3000 mAh), TurboPower for up to 6 hours of power in 15 minutes of charging
- Water protection: Water repellent nano-coating
- 4G LTE (Cat 6)
- CDMA/EVDO Rev A
- Rear camera
- 12 MP with Dual Autofocus Pixels
- f/1.7 aperture
- Color balancing dual LED flash
- 8X digital zoom for photos, 4X for video
- Drag to focus & exposure
- Quick Capture
- Tap (anywhere) to capture
- Best Shot
- Professional Mode
- Burst mode
- Auto HDR
- Video stabilization
- 4K Ultra HD video capture (30 fps)
- Slow Motion video
- Front camera
- 5 MP
- Wide-angle lens
- f/2.2 aperture
- Display flash
- Professional mode
- Beautification mode
- Video capture: 4K Ultra HD (30 fps) speakers/microphones
- Front-ported loud speaker: 2-Mics
- SIM Card: Nano-SIM
- Connectivity: Micro USB, 3.5 mm headset jack
- Bluetooth technology: Bluetooth version 4.2
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
- Location services
- NFC: No
- Fingerprint reader
- Ambient Light