1. Introduction and Specifications
In just a few short years, Cardo Systems has emerged as one of the leaders in Bluetooth technology and bluetooth headsets. Now that the technology has gone "mainstream" we are starting to see some very small and very sophisticated devices. The S-800 is the new flagship of the Cardo line. Small in size but big in technology, this little headset hopes to knock the Jawbone and Blue Ant Z-9 (among others) from the mantle of "best of the breed." Does the S-800 have what it takes? Read on for my full review.
About Cardo Systems:
Cardo Systems, Inc., formed in 2001 and headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA. is an established world leader in the field of wireless Bluetooth communications. Their award-winning products integrate state of the art technology and features, with the latest innovative audio design. Cardo's in-house lab is operated by a highly qualified engineering staff that has had many years of in-depth experience with Bluetooth, RF and audio transmission. During the last 4 years, Cardo has submitted several patents applications, some of which have already been granted.Among others, Cardo has been:
- the first to offer the VersaClip™, allowing users to wear headset either over the ear or attached to eye /sun-glasses.
- the first to produce and sell headsets equipped with true wind-blocking capabilities (WindGuard™).
- the first to offers a voice-controlled and detachable BT headset for motorcycle helmets that allow safe and hands-free operation .
- the first to offers the currently smallest universal BT Adapter for cell phones. This little device renders virtually every standard cell phone Bluetooth capable.
- the first to offer a dual-purpose BT headset for voice-controlled use of SKYPE™.
The S-800 crams an awful lot of technology into a very small package. The official line from Cardo Systems reads as follows:
Precision design meets advanced headset technology
The Cardo S-800 is one of the most feature-rich and advanced headsets available on the market. Its ultra-small size and iconic shape incorporate sophisticated technology, designed for extensive wear and use. The headset fits equally well when worn in-the-ear or when used with the stylish over-the-ear loop. Among others, the S-800 offers :
A Lightweight Heavyweight: Barely 10.9 gr. [0.38 oz.] but every bit as powerful as the best of crop.
In-ear or over-the-ear headset: Fits comfortably and securely in the ear and can also be worn with an earloop (vertically and horizontally adjustable).
Hot Dialing: A dedicated button to quickly call any of your three favorite numbers.
Superb Audio: Embedded audio balancing with noise reduction technology and a high-end speaker booster provide superior voice quality.
Solid Performer: up to 8 hours talk time and one week standby.
State of the art functionality: Favorite numbers Hot-Button, SWAP technology (switches headset’s connection between two mobile phones), Headset Location Buzzer, Battery Status Indicator, Call Back, Auto Answer, Missed Call indicator, Conference Call, Voice Dial and much more...
S-800 Technical Specifications