Monday, October 18, 2004
ONES Software Review -
many of you remember Prassi? The name should sound familiar but Prassi has
been away for quite sometime now. For all the new CD/DVD recording enthusiasts,
once known as the creator of the leading recording software. In 2001, Prassi
was sold to Veritas, and the recording software was sold to Sonic in 2002.
Prassi was not developing any software, its recording engine was always around,
in RecordNow software. The bottom line is that the beast was never dead, it
was just asleep. And now, it's awake again!
new Prassi burning engine will be present in the ONES Recording and Authoring
software. ONES stands for Optical New Edge Storage,
and can offer everything users will need for their recording needs. It introduces
a new "option checker" engine called Fuzzy Logic.
What Fuzzy Logic does is check all options and settings that users input,
and reports problems that might occur if burning proceeds. This reduces
the chance of making mistakes, since users are protected against making
settings. It solves problems, and analyzes users inputs, covering
both advanced and novice users.
As the developers of ONES state: "...because of the Fuzzy Logic it embeds and the years of experience on which it is
based. ONES carries with him a new and unique burning concept for DVD and CD. Virtually any brand and any type of CD or DVD recorder produced after the year 2000 are supported. Few exceptions could still happen, in case of drives with an implementation of the recording command set that is too distant from the international MMC specifications. Burning DVD and CD has never been as easy...".
Below you will find ONES' main features:
- Dynamic interface for both
beginners and power users.
- Burn easily DVD Video, DVD-ROM, Audio CD, CD Rom, CD Extra, Video CD and much more. All popular and non popular recording formats are supported. It also supports RAW mode and direct copy.
- Shielded from making settings mistakes. Fuzzy Logic is
doing its best in this regard.
- Totally Driverless Application; no frequent download updates are needed.
- Create easily Audio compilations from MP3, WMA, Professional WMA or WAV. Compilation will be compatible with all stand-alone CD Players.
- It fully supports CD Text, CD Extra, Pre-Gap, UPC and ISRC.
- Easy and understandable Overburning. There is no special
option tab to enable overburning. You can now choose to overburn your media,
just as easily as selecting writing speed. Overburning is accessible through
- Full support of CD-R 100 Min.
- True recording speed. During the reading process, the
effective, real-time writing speed is displayed.
- DVD Native application open to all new DVD standards. This software is open to DVD Dual Layer standards and BluRay.
- Multi-borders support.
- Supports all images (.ISO, .BIN, .CUE, etc.) and creates
DiscImage from any actions.
- Integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Windows Media 9 audio.
- Robust device driver and SPTI support.
We used the updated 2.0.285 version of ONES for this review.
- Minimum Requirements
- Microsoft Windows 98SE, ME,
2000 or XP.
- Pentium II (or equivalent) CPU,
running at 266MHz or faster.
- 128MB of system memory.
- 5MB of free space on the hard drive.
- A CD or DVD recorder of any
brand, attached via ATAPI, any type of SCSI, USB 1.x or USB
2.0, or Firewire 1394 bus.
Let's not waste any time and put the software to the test...