Has Sprint "Upstaged" the iPhone?
The mobile world is preparing to be turned on its head as the iPhone hits the store shelves. While many are waiting for the iPhone release, Sprint and Samsung have quietly introduced a phone that has so much going for it that it might steal some iPhone thunder. In fact, you might just "Flip" over this phone.
The phone is the Samsung Upstage which is, for now, a Sprint exclusive. This is a very innovative phone with quite a feature set and a very reasonable price.
A few months ago, Sprint was teasing us with promos on the Upstage - it didn't even have a name at that point - but we knew it was going to be something very cool.
I was very fortunate to get an early release of the Upstage and I have been battling my 12 year old daughter for some time with this phone to check out its features. She made a deal with me - if she could "use" this phone when she was home, she would help write the review. Done. So, you will not only get my thoughts on this phone - but those of a pre-teen who has found a new best friend. I will therefore credit my daughter, Sara, as a co-reviewer of the Samsung Upstage.
Here are the technical specs on the phone and the "official" line from the Sprint web site:
Introducing the UpStageTM by Samsung - the flip side of mobility.
The UpStageTM - a mobile device that looks amazing no matter if you're talking on one side or grooving to music on the other. The striking ultra thin design with dual LCD and touch navigation keypad gives it distinct functionality and style. Enjoy great videos, ringtones, and Sprint TVTM. Download your favorite songs from the Sprint Music StoreSM and listen to them while you IM or browse the web.
The Sprint Power VisionSM Network
About this Phone
The unique dual-face design of the UpStage™ by Samsung® lets you get your groove on and have great calls. Wirelessly download music in a instant with one touch access to the Sprint Music Store. Other great features include the Sprint Power VisionSM Network, Bluetooth Wireless technology, and Extended Battery Wallet that allows up to 16 hours of listening.
- Digital Dual Band
- Up to 2.5 hours continuous talk time, with the included extended battery wallet up to 6.3 hours.
- 1.7" x 4.0" x 0.37" (size comparison)
- 2.57 oz
Whatever you want to do, now the answer is yes you can. Sprint Power VisionSM gives you the choice and flexibility you need to make the most of your wireless service. Watch, listen, play and do at the speed of life.
Sprint Music StoreSM Enabled
Sprint TVSM Enabled
Download stereo-quality, digital tracks instantly to your phone. Choose from hundreds of thousands of full-length songs from virtually every genre. Select songs directly from your wireless phone and listen to them wherever you go, even download them to your PC.
Watch live TV on the go with full-motion video and vivid sound. Use your phone to watch news, sports, weather, movie trailers, entertainment channels.
Sprint PCS® Picture Mail
Shoot, share and print high-resolution digital photos instantly. Send short video clips with your picture and video-enabled Sprint PCS Vision Phone.
Stream music to your phone with Sprint Radio, offering both music and talk radio. Get over 30 channels – Hip Hop, Top Hits, Latin Pop, music videos and shows from NPR, Sporting News and more.
Slim, Dual-Faced Form
- The UpStage is the first product that's both a dedicated music player and a dedicated phone. And at only .37" slim, it's bound to pick up a ton of dedicated fans.
Music (and Everything Else) Player
- You can load up the UpStage with music from your PC or downloads from the Sprint Music StoreSM - then listen to it all through the stereo speaker or a stereo Bluetooth headset. Then there's a big, beautiful, 262,000-color display so you can watch music videos or Sprint TVSM. Just hit "play."
1.3 Megapixel Camera
- The same beautiful display that lets you enjoy music videos can also display your photos. The UpStage has a sweet 1.3 megapixel camera and camcorder so you'll never miss a photo op again.
Stereo Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
- Connecting to Bluetooth-enabled headsets, handsfree car systems and compatible printers sounds good, doesn't it? Well, connecting to your music with a stereo Bluetooth headset sounds even better.
With standard battery
- Dimensions: 4.07" x 1.73" x 0.37"
- Weight: 2.57 ounces
- Main Display: 176 x 220 Pixel, 262K TFT Color
- Sub Display: 176 x 65 Pixel, 65K TFT Color
- Color: Black
- Continuous talk time: Up to 2.5 hours*
- Mode: Dual-Band: EVDO; CDMA 1x EVDO: 800, 1900 MHz
- Wireless Protocol: CDMA
- Service Provider: Sprint
On to the Review of the Samsung Upstage m620.