Pioneer Corporation announced the introduction of the DVR-A08-J (pure white), DVR-A08-J-BK (black) and DVR-A08-J-SV (silver), the world's first DVD writers capable of recording at up to 16x write speed on DVD-R or +R discs*2 and at up to 4x write speed on DVD+R DL (double-layer) discs*3.
They will be available in Japan in late July 2004 with the monthly production of 10,000 units, 8,000 units and 8,000 units, respectively. The retail prices are not suggested.
Pioneer's new DVD writers realize not only the industry-leading write speeds on DVD-R discs, DVD+R DL discs and +R discs, but also provides high-quality recording and high reliability with quiet operation owing to Pioneer-developed eminent technologies which have been further advanced from Pioneer's previous writers.
The DVR-A08 fully satisfies a wide range of requirements from PC users, such as high productivity, quieter drive, accurate recording and stylized design.
*1 For DVD-R and DVD+R DL recording, as of July 13, 2004.
*2 For 16x write on DVD-R or +R discs, please use Pioneer-recommended 8x discs or media that are designed for this recording speed. (The expected write speed might not be obtained under certain conditions.)
*3 For 4x write on DVD+R DL discs, please use Pioneer-recommended 2.4x discs. (The expected write speed might not be obtained under certain conditions.)
(1) 16x high-speed recording to DVD-R or +R (the world's fastest)
The DVR-A08 realizes high-speed recording of up to 16x write speed on DVD-R and +R discs by employing Pioneer's original technology that sets the optimum write strategy for each of used discs. It also records at 4x speed*4 on DVD-RW or +RW, 32x speed*4 on CD-R, and 24x speed*4 on CD-RW discs.
In addition, the new writers have an auto write speed selecting function, which automatically optimizes the write speed depending on discs' conditions, which can improve the reliability in recording.
*4 For 4x, 32x or 24x write, please use appropriate media relevant to each write speed.
(2) 4x high-speed recording to DVD+R DL (the world's fastest)
The new DVD writers provide the fast recording to DVD+R DL discs at 4x write speed, making it possible to store the data of 8.5GB in about 25 minutes on DVD-R DL discs (cf. about 45 minutes at 2.4x write speed). It helps users easily and smoothly record or backup a wide range of data, such as moving pictures and a large volume of data. Pioneer's eminent optical technologies including the Liquid Crystal Tilt/Thickness Compensator have realized this high-quality recording even on double-layer discs.
(3) Playback Compatibility in all DVD formats
The new writers support the playback of DVD-RAM*5, DVD-R, +R and DVD+R DL discs.
*5 Only DVD-RAM Version 2.0 and 2.1 without cartridge supported.
(4) Stylish design in three colors
The new writers, designed for vertically or horizontally mounting, can also be installed in a slim-type PC*6.
*6 Please check the mounting slot of PCs before installation.
(5) Other outstanding features
a. Various original technologies to improve quality and reliability in recording, including:
- "Liquid Crystal Tilt/Thickness Compensator"
- "Smart Laser Driver technology
- "Ultra Dynamic Resonance Absorber"
- "Buffer Under-run Protection"
- "Precision Recording Technology"
b. High-speed recording and low noise operation
- Pioneer's original "honey comb structure" and other improvements to the internal structure have drastically reduced operation noise during high speed rotation.
- "Performance Adjusting Firmware*7" automatically optimizes the disc's rotation speed depending on user's requirements and keep operation noise at the minimum in the write and read modes.
- "Performance Adjusting Utility", application software bundled with the writer, allows users to manually select the disc rotation mode and more effectively utilize "Performance Adjusting Firmware".
*7 Patent pending
c. CD-ROM containing a variety of application software, and "DVD Handbook" (in PDF data) supplied with the drive.
Bundled Software for the DVR-A08:
1) MyDVD (by Sonic Solutions)
MyDVD is personal authoring software including a wide range of functions from DV capture to DVD write. Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio recording is possible. The VR import function easily edits VR-format data recorded disc on their PCs.
2) RecordNow (by Sonic Solutions)
RecordNow is DVD/CD-writing software aimed at a wide range of users, from beginners to PC experts. A variety of data recording functions such as ?quick format? and ?multiborder" are supported.
3) DLA (by Sonic Solutions)
DLA is packet writing software that supports the popular ?quick format? and offers an easy, floppy disk-style writing operation with its drag-and-drop function.
4) Simple Backup (by Sonic Solutions)
Simple Backup software simplifies irritating backup tasks, making it easy to back up important data, including system data.
5) CinePlayer (by Sonic Solutions)
DVD-Video playback software. It also plays DVD discs recorded in the VR mode. The Video Desktop function plays a movie on the desktop screen.
6) DVD handbook
This is a guidebook in PDF format, which explains how to use the bundled software, easy to understand even for DVD writer beginners.
7) Performance Adjusting Utility
This software allows the users to manually select the disc rotation mode from three modes (Quite, Performance, and Standard) to change the read speed (disc rotation).