NOOK Media LLC, a subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, Inc., today announced the launch of NOOK Press, a new self-publishing platform offering authors an easy and free way to write, edit, collaborate and publish eBooks and directly distribute them to millions of readers.
NOOK Press builds on the success of PubIt!, Barnes & Noble's original self-publishing platform. Leveraging technology from NOOK's partner FastPencil, and designed with input from PubIt! authors, NOOK Press now offers collaboration, content creation and publishing tools in an intuitive interface.
NOOK Press provides authors with simple tools such as:
- Instant Access: The "Quick Start" option lets writers try out the tools before they commit to becoming a vendor, all they need to sign up is an e-mail address. "Live Chat" offers writers instant support and personalized answers to questions at every stage of the publishing process. The service is available Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 9:00 pm EST.
- One-stop Service: Authors can write, edit, format, and publish their work in one place with exclusive content tools all at no cost, and sell books to millions of NOOK customers within 2-3 days.
- Easy ePub Creation and Editing: With new content creation tools, authors can easily upload a manuscript just once, then continue to write and edit directly within NOOK Press, quickly and easily turning their work into a professional-quality ePub file.
- Integrated Collaboration: NOOK Press allows authors to safely and quickly invite their network of friends and editors to read and comment on any NOOK Press project in a secure environment.
- Sales Reporting: Visually-enhanced sales report allows authors to easily track daily sales and track month-over-month progress.
- Pathways to Passionate Readers: With NOOK Press, authors can publish once and reach millions of customers using NOOK and NOOK Reading Apps in the US and UK.
- Merchandising Opportunities: NOOK Press offers authors merchandising opportunities in the NOOK Store and NOOK ecosystem, including a new NOOK Press NOOK Channel on NOOK HD and NOOK HD+ coming soon. Select content will be in social media campaigns, e-mails and newsletters directed to millions of NOOK customers.
Among the features and benefits of NOOK Press, authors will enjoy a competitive compensation model, with no hidden terms or fees. NOOK Press authors can price their titles between $0.99 and $199.99 and receive a competitive royalty based on the given price. For NOOK Press NOOK Books priced at or between $2.99 and $9.99, authors receive 65 percent of the list price for sold content. For those priced at $2.98 or less, or $10.00 or more, authors receive 40 percent of the list price. NOOK Press authors will be compensated from the list price they set with no additional charges, regardless of file size.