Samsung Electronics today announced a new naming strategy for its GALAXY range of smartphones. The creation of the new naming system is marked by the release of four new GALAXY smartphone, the GALAXY W, GALAXY M Pro, GALAXY Y and GALAXY Y Pro, all of which run on the Android 2.3 Gingerbread operating systems.
Samsung has created a simplified system of naming its smartphones, focused on its portfolio of Android devices. The naming structure will organize and group all devices into five classes, identified by a single alphabetical letter. Devices will then be further designated by an additional indicator which will identify specific functionality.
"As Samsung continues to innovate, our goal is to provide consumers with an experience uniquely tailored to their needs. We have introduced steps to ensure users can simply identify the device designed to deliver the perfect experience for them," said JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung’s Mobile Communications Business.
"In addition to this new naming strategy at IFA this year we unveilling the GALAXY W, GALAXY M Pro, GALAXY Y and GALAXY Y Pro – designed with the professional and social consumer in mind. These products further build on the phenomenal success we have enjoyed with the GALAXY range."
According to the new naming structure, new class designators refer to the specific category that the smartphone product fits into, for example a premium device, or an entry-level device. All classes will be used within the higher branding of the 'GALAXY' smartphones.
- "S" (Super Smart) – Devices at the very pinnacle of Samsung’s mobile portfolio. This class will only be used on flagship devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S, the smartphone that has already sold 10 million units throughout the world, according to Samsung's figures.
- "R" (Royal / Refined) – Premium category models, a combination of power, performance and productivity.
· "W" (Wonder) – High quality, strategic models, designed for those seeking a balance between style and performance.
· "M" (Magical) – High-performance models at an economic price-point.
· "Y" (Young) – These are entry models or strategic models for emerging markets or a younger audience more sensitive to price.
Class indicators allow a more specific description of the key selling points of a device:
- "Pro" – This indicates that the device includes a QWERTY keyboard.
- "Plus" – This indicates that the device is an upgrade from an existing model.
- "LTE" – This indicates that the device is designed to utilize LTE (Long-Term Evolution) connectivity standards, a 4G standard to provide increased mobile network capacity and speed.
Introducing the Samsung GALAXY W
The new smartphone is equipped with high-spec technology including a 1.4GHz Processor, HSDPA 14.4 Mbps connectivity and a 3.7" touch screen. It also includes Samsung’s Game, Social and Music Hubs and Kies Air enables additional control, allowing users who have misplaced their phone to track it.
GALAXY M Pro
Providing a strong performance for high value, the GALAXY M Pro is aimed at young and sociable professionals. A QWERTY keyboard provides swift typing on the go. The keyboard also simplifies communication with Social Hub. Communication history, instant messaging and updates from social networking sites are all readily available.
An optical track pad and touch screen ensures the interface is easy and simple to use. This productivity and functionality is packed into a 9.97m body. Designed with professionals in mind, the GALAXY M Pro offers productivity through a variety of enterprise solutions, including Exchange Active Sync, Sybase Afaria, CISCO Mobile and CISCO WebEx.
Compact but with a full range of features and allowing the ability to stay social on-the-go, the GALAXY Y is an ideal device for younger consumers. Multitasking is enabled thanks to the device’s 832MHz processor. The GALAXY Y includes Samsung’s Social Hub and it is equipped with Samsung’s TouchWiz User Interface. Additionally, the inclusion of SWYPE facilitates speedy typing. The GALAXY Y is available in a variety of colors.
GALAXY Y Pro
Equipped with a QWERTY keyboard as well as enhanced social and professional features, the GALAXY Y Pro Smartphone is optimized for young professionals. Users can stay constantly connected with Social Hub Premium, which supports email, social network integration and instant messaging.
The phone has a touch screen interface and allows users to work on the go thanks to ThinkFree mobile office, enabling a variety of Office documents (Word, PPT, Excel and PDF) to be edited from the handset. Productivity is enhanced thanks to the combined power of touch screen and QWERTY keyboard inputs. WiFi Direct also allows faster transfer rates.