Barnes & Noble, Inc., the world's largest bookseller, is giving book lovers more choice in dedicated eBook Reading devices with the addition of NOOK Wi-Fi to the NOOK by Barnes & Noble family for just $149, and a new lower price for its award-winning NOOK 3G at $199.
The new NOOK Wi-Fi offers all the features of NOOK 3G - a color touch screen for navigation and E-Ink display - plus Wi-Fi connectivity. NOOK Wi-Fi is now available to order online at www.nook.com and www.bestbuy.com.
Barnes & Noble's new price for NOOK 3G marks the market's first under-$200 dedicated full-featured eBook reader that offers both free 3G wireless and Wi-Fi connectivity. And Barnes & Noble continues to enhance the eReading experience for all NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi owners through its latest 1.4 software update, now offering even more places to connect to Wi-Fi for free and faster access to the content they want to read.
With its latest software update for all NOOK devices (now available at www.nook.com/update), Barnes & Noble is offering all NOOK customers complimentary access to AT&T's entire nationwide Wi-Fi network, including Barnes & Noble book stores which have previously been available to NOOK customers.
As part of the NOOK eBook Reader family, NOOK Wi-Fi features Barnes & Noble's LendMe technology, enabling customers to share eBooks with friends for up to 14 days. NOOK Wi-Fi also offers the same in-store features like Read In Store to browse complete eBooks in Barnes & Noble stores at no cost, and More In Store, offering free, exclusive content and special promotions.
Just like NOOK 3G, NOOK Wi-Fi features:
- Color book covers to browse in your library or while shopping, fast page turns, multiple font choices and sizes and more.
- Dual displays: Paper-like 6" E-Ink display which offers high contrast with no backlight or glare even in bright sunlight, and 3.5" LCD lower color touchscreen for navigation.
- Shop the Barnes & Noble eBookstore for everything from classics to current bestsellers and download your content wirelessly in seconds. There are more than one million eBooks, magazines and newspapers available and free eBook samples.
- Lend to friends: Share a wide range of eBooks with friends for 14 days using exclusive LendMe technology.
- In-store experience: Access fast and free Wi-Fi connectivity in Barnes & Noble stores and enjoy the beta Read In Store feature to browse many complete eBooks for free, and the More In Store program, which offers free, exclusive content and special promotions.
- Games, music and Web: Play Chess or Sudoku, listen to your favorite songs or browse the Web to check news and email.
- Light and portable library: About the size and weight of a paperback, the 2GB device carries approximately 1,500 eBooks and offers virtually endless shelf space with expandable memory.
- Your B&N personal library: With Barnes & Noble's Lifetime Library, Barnes & Noble digital purchases will be accessible on BN.com and can be enjoyed on the widest variety of devices. Your eBook library goes wherever you go, giving instant access to your existing Barnes & Noble digital library on your NOOK device, partners? third-party eBook readers and hundreds of computing and mobile devices enabled with free BN eReader software including iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry, HTC HD2, PC and Mac.
- Read for days: With Wi-Fi turned off, enjoy reading for up to 10 days on a single battery charge.
- Personalize with style: Customize NOOK Wi-Fi with one of the many designer accessories available for all NOOK devices.
NOOK Wi-Fi follows NOOK 3G's design and dimensions and is lightweight (just 11.6 ounces), making it easy to carry in a handbag. NOOK Wi-Fi also comes with a removable white back cover - NOOK's is grey - and you can personalize your device from a selection of four additional great back cover colors.
All NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi customers can also use the included USB cable to connect their device to a PC or Mac to transfer their personal files in ePub, PDF and PDB formats to their NOOK. Based on Barnes & Noble?s open platform and Adobe technology partnership, customers can transfer and read personal files that utilize Adobe?s latest digital rights management or are rights-free. Barnes & Noble?s use of Adobe technology and ePub format also allows customers to read their digital content across a growing universe of devices.
Just in time for summer reading, NOOK Wi-Fi is now available for purchase online at www.nook.com for $149 and will begin shipping this week. NOOK Wi-Fi can also be ordered at www.bestbuy.com. Barnes & Noble expects NOOK Wi-Fi will be in-stock in select Barnes & Noble and Best Buy stores for immediate purchase later this month and rolling out to all stores later this summer.
NOOK 3G continues to offer both free 3G wireless and Wi-Fi connectivity to give customers more ways to shop on-the-go. NOOK 3G is in stock at Barnes & Noble stores and at www.nook.com with its new price of $199. NOOK 3G is also available at Best Buy and www.bestbuy.com.
NOOK v1.4 Update: Complimentary AT&T Wi-Fi Access and More
Barnes & Noble also announced that its latest NOOK v1.4 software gives all NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi customers complimentary high-speed access to AT&T?s entire nationwide Wi-Fi network, including restaurants, hotels and additional locations across the country which can be found at www.att.com/go.
The latest NOOK software also offers a Go To Page feature, one of the most frequent enhancements requested by NOOK users, which allows customers to jump to a specific page number in an open eBook, an extra extra large font and performance enhancements to open eBooks even faster.
NOOK v1.4 software is now available via manual download at www.nook.com/update with additional information and directions. NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi will receive an automatic NOOK v1.4 update upon syncing over the next week.