The product roadmap of Philips & Lite-On Digital Storage Solutions (PLDS) for this year includes many new DVD burners as well as a 12x Blu-ray burner in Q4 of 2009.
The company will release new 24x DVD burners in both external and internal versions, 16x slim-type drives as well as drives featuring the LabelTag technology, an easy way to create simple labels on the data side of your disc.
Lite-On LabelTag drives are bundled with NERO burning software. In this software edition there is an option of adding a label. This can be done by simply adding a line of text, which will then be displayed on a ring on the disc. The label will be located directly outside the used data area. LabelTag can be used on any DVD±R discs.
The first LabelTag drive on the market is the Lite-On iHAS524
. Besides LabelTag, this 24x DVD writer also features LiteOn's own SmartErase technology, which allows users to permanently delete all data from write-once CD and DVD media.
The product roadmap for Europe also includes the following drives, scheduled for release in the end of May:
- Internal H/H 24X DVD-RW, SmartWrite, SmartErase, S-ATA, Retail Version black incl. extra silver bezel
- Internal H/H 24X DVD-RW, SmartWrite, SmartErase, S-ATA, LightScribe, LabelTag Retail Version black incl. extra silver bezel
- Internal H/H 24X DVD-RW black, SmartWrite, S-ATA
- Internal H/H 24X DVD-RW black, generic, SmartWrite, S-ATA, LightScribe
- External Slim 16X DVDROM, USB-powered, black/white
- Internal H/H 4X BD-ROM black, including extra silver bezel. Available in: Bulk (black) & Retail version
- External H/H 4X BD-ROM. Available in: Retail version
- Internal H/H 8X BD-COMBO. Available in: Bulk (black)
In September, PLDS also plans to release the DS-8A3S
, an internal Slim 8X DVD-RW black, S-ATA as well as the DS-8A4L
, an internal Slim 8X DVDRW black, S-ATA, LightScribe. The company will also offer two 22x external DVD burners, the eZAU322
(External H/H 22X DVD-RW, SmartWrite, EZ-DUB) and the eZAU422
(External H/H 22X
DVD-RW, SmartWrite, EZ-DUB, LightScribe).
The roadmap does not include any new Blu-ray disc burners faster than the currently available DH-4B1S (4x BD). However, the company promised to offer a 12x BD burner in the Q4 of 2009.
PLDS will also release in Europe certain HP-branded drives, since the company has obtained a license from HP to sell them in Europe.
Starting from this month, PLDS will offer the HP Dvd1160i
(Internal H/H 22X DVD-RW, S-ATA, Retail Version), the Dvd1170i
(Internal H/H 22X DVD-RW, S-ATA, LightScribe, Retail Version) and the Dvd1170e
(External H/H 22X DVD-RW, LightScribe, Retail Version) models. The Dvd1270i
(Internal H/H 24X DVD-RW,
S-ATA, LightScribe, Retail Version) will also retail in Europe in July.