NEC Electronics announced that it had developed the world's first single-chip LSI to integrate the main functions of Blu-ray Disc players.
Sample shipments of the new LSI, named EMMATM 3PF, will begin in September 2008.
The EMMATM 3PF has the following features.
1. All of the main functions required for Blu-ray Disc players are included on one chip, including the digital conversion of analog data read from optical discs, the digital decoding of encoded images and sounds and a High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) for output to televisions.
2. The package area has been reduced by 50% due to the single-chip configuration, the integration of external memory and the internalization of peripheral functions.
3. The EMMATM 3PF supports BD-ROM Profile 2.0, the latest Blu-ray Disc specification. This profile includes picture-in-picture playback, high quality sound, and network connections for downloading additional content.
4. The EMMATM 3PF has a multi-core CPU, which delivers an industry-best 1150 DMIPS (Dhrystone MIPS), and a graphic processing accelerator.
The EMMATM 3PF allows users to create compact, high performance Blu-ray Disc players. In the future, this new product will make an important contribution to the integration of Blu-ray Disc playback into all audio-visual systems.
Monthly production is expected to be 1,000,000 units from the fourth quarter of 2008.
In June of this year, NEC Electronics released the SCOMBO/UM2P, which has all of the frontend functions on one chip. In the past, NEC Electronics has released products designed to place the backend functions on one chip and this month it released the EMMA3P, which specializes in playback. The EMMATM 3PF has these two advanced system LSI on one chip, which will help reduce the size of future Blu-ray Disc players.
The EMMATM 3PF has the following main features.
1. A single chip that has the required functions for a Blu-ray Disc player
The EMMATM 3PF combines the frontend functions of the SCOMBO/UM2P with the backend functions of the EMMA3P. This is the first time ever that the required functions for a Blu-ray Disc player have been integrated into one chip. The chip has an analog circuit to process signals from the optical pickup, a decoding circuit for encoded video and audio and an HDMI to output video and audio.
2. 50% reduction in package area
A unified memory architecture (UMA) integrates the chip, allowing the frontend and backend functions to share the external memory required for these functions. An on-board USB2.0 host controller has also been included. The package area is 50% smaller than the combined area of the previous products, which reduces part costs and space requirements.
3. Support for Blu-ray Disc specifications for video and audio playback
The EMMATM 3PF supports the codecs used by Blu-ray Discs. Picture in picture playback of H.264/AVC, VC-1, MPEG2/1 and other video formats and the audio playback of Dolby? TrueHD, DTS-HDTM and other formats are possible. Support is planned for the DivX? format. The on-board Ethernet controller and digital rights management make it possible to download content via a network connection.
4. A multi-core CPU and graphics accelerator
Player startup speed and operability are greatly improved by a 64-bit 655DMIPS VR5500 CPU application processor, a 32-bit 495DMIPS CPU by MIPS Technology, a vector graphics accelerator for graphic processing and a still-image decoder.
5. Backward compatibility with existing software
The EMMATM 3PF has the same LSI architecture as the EMMA and SCOMBO products, which means that users can still use applications developed for EMMA and SCOMBO products.
The EMMATM 3PF provides the perfect conditions for the construction of high performance, low-cost Blu-ray Disc player systems and is expected to further accelerate the remarkable growth of the Blu-ray Disc player market.
EMMATM 3PF Specs