CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several different media   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 700 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several different media Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/14/2004 3:02:13 AM   
emperor

Hopefully will come soon

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 17
[Deleted] - 7/14/2004 4:27:41 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Clint)
  Post #: 18
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/15/2004 2:04:45 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clint

......TAIYO YUDEN DVD-R 4X @ 8X......

Am I seing right or do I need another pair of glasses? :) 8x on a 4x DVD-R media? I thought that this is not possible for DVD-R media ... unless ...
Is that the official v1.03 FW you're using?

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 19
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/15/2004 2:20:26 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

Your results are not very good i must say, have you looked at our review? We didn't had such problems, maybe your unit is defective?

UPDATE:

It turned out that my brand new drive was defective indeed. I've RMA it and got a new drive. Very good technical support from Plextor.be I have to say!

I've tested the new unit and I've posted my old vs new results, plus few new ones, here:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=99294&highlight=plextor+px-712a

Even with the new unit, I seem to get very bad results with RITEK R03 Rev02 media (Infinity 8x and Ridata 4x@8x) ... This still doesn't look very normal to me ... any ideas?

Although a definite improvement over the first drive, I'm still not very impressed with the results I'm getting with the new unit ... I hope I haven't got another "weird" drive

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 20
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/15/2004 4:43:03 PM   
emperor

We had problems with specific -R media (4~5 coasters), don't know the exact cause, using 1.03, the burned discs are now measured, next week we should have something online...

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 21
[Deleted] - 7/15/2004 4:48:31 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to cvs)
  Post #: 22
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/15/2004 6:15:17 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: minos

Yes it is true...when we mention good media compatibility we mean certified 4X media allow 8X.

I have a TDK 880N and I burn all the time 4X DVD-R from Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi Chemicals at 8X.

Very interesting ... I was under the impression that Plextor PX-712 only offers 4x@8x and 8x@12x on DVD+R media. I did not knew that you can officially do 4x@8x on DVD-R media too ...

I even looked on their website at the DVD-R recomended list and I could not see any example of writing @8x on any 4x DVD-R media.

Well, this is very good news.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 23
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/15/2004 7:05:33 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

We had problems with specific -R media (4~5 coasters), don't know the exact cause, using 1.03, the burned discs are now measured, next week we should have something online...

I'm not surprised at all... I am still not impressed with my PX-712a! It's my second most despised burner, second only to my LiteON 411s!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 24
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/16/2004 2:35:27 AM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: cvs

quote:

......TAIYO YUDEN DVD-R 4X @ 8X......

Am I seing right or do I need another pair of glasses? :) 8x on a 4x DVD-R media? I thought that this is not possible for DVD-R media ... unless ...
Is that the official v1.03 FW you're using?

Yes, a very good feature, as I use alot of -R media!!! I think it is only with TYG01's though... ? Yes v1.03 official. It should work with every f/w from v1.01 or even the first public release (v1.00) might even allow this. v1.03 would give optimal results, since it is more comprehensively 'fine-tuned' than the previous releases.

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 25
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/16/2004 2:40:52 AM   
Clint

quote:

I have heard some minus problems with -R format.

True, this is rather unfortunate and should be improved ASAP. I have personally seen evidence of this with Verbatim 4X -R media. It just results in a coaster with v1.01 sometimes. I have not re-checked this performance as of newer firmware and that media. For sure, I can say TY and Sony -R 4X media is performing *more than adequately* w/ v1.03.

BTW, I got hold of some Sony Optical DVD+R media 4X cert. from work, and they are infact RICOHJPN made and feature 8X +R writing on the 712. If you see these media cheap, and use +R, they are a steal for quality. They are though a little expensive where I am though...

< Message edited by Clint -- 7/16/2004 4:50:16 PM >

Post #: 26
[Deleted] - 7/16/2004 4:36:27 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Clint)
  Post #: 27
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/16/2004 10:39:32 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

The coasters were from CMC, Optodisc, Maxell and TY

Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs will coaster EVERY burn... it's the only drive I've seen do it too. My LiteON 411s burns them horribly, but at least it completes the burn process!!! Even my LiteON 812s with VS0F firmware (came pre-installed on drive) burns the media better the PX-712a! I have zero confidence in the drive, and every time I burn something in it, I feel the need to go back and scan it s couple times (with a couple different drives) to see if it's playable/worth keeping. I would never burn personal use stuff on it anymore, I only use the Pioneer 107 and NEC 2500a for that now.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

Post #: 28
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/16/2004 12:51:56 PM   
cvs

quote:

The coasters were from CMC, Optodisc, Maxell and TY

Except Optodisc, all these are on the Recommended DVD-R Recording Media list ... now that's weird indeed ... TY and Maxell are top quality ...

Post #: 29
[Deleted] - 7/16/2004 5:40:01 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to cvs)
  Post #: 30
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/17/2004 10:46:12 AM   
cvs

quote:

Yes, a very good feature, as I use alot of -R media!!! I think it is only with TYG01's though... ? Yes v1.03 official. It should work with every f/w from v1.01 or even the first public release (v1.00) might even allow this. v1.03 would give optimal results, since it is more comprehensively 'fine-tuned' than the previous releases.

I've just found the following website:

http://www.feurio.de/shop/shop_dvdr_tdk47_scratchproof.html#3689

It seems that TDK 4x DVD-R media (TTG01) will also write @8x.

VERY GOOD resource this website ... well worth taking a look ... its a pitty it doesn't have an english translation as well, but in spite of this small drawback is very easy to find what you're looking for even if you don't know german (I don't).

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 31
[Deleted] - 7/17/2004 7:04:53 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to cvs)
  Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several different media Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI